INTERVIEW-IHC Caland stands firm on

INTERVIEW-IHC Caland stands firm on Myanmar
06:22 a.m. Aug 05, 1998 Eastern

By Karen Iley

AMSTERDAM, Aug 5 (Reuters) - Dutch shipbuilding and engineering group IHC
Caland will not budge on its operations in Myanmar, despite mounting
criticism and imminent protests, the firms chief executive said on Wednesday.

The firm has been attacked by human rights groups and Dutch trade unions for
its plans to build a drifting oil storage system 180 km off the coast of
Myanmar, formerly known as Burma.

IHC Calland said it would not pull out of the joint venture with Britains
Premier Oil unless the Dutch government banned business in the region.

The United States has imposed sanctions on Myanmar and wants the countrys
military rulers to open a dialogue with the opposition National League for
Democracy, led by Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi.

``I only deal with the Dutch government and the Dutch government has no
sanctions in the area,'' chief executive officer Jan Bax told Reuters in an
interview.

``I am paid to look after the continuity, the profitability and the market
share, to look after my shareholders.''

Bax said it was the governments responsibility to dictate whether firms
should operate in the region.

``They should not leave it to individual companies to decide,'' he said.

Pressure groups The Burma Centre, Novid, and solidarity fund XminY now plan
to lobby the Netherlands two-day old government to speak out on the issue.

``We are insisting that the government come out with a point of view -- that
would be very helpful,'' said Heerko Dyksterhuis, spokesman for Novid, a
development aid organisation.

Representatives from the three groups met officials of IHC Caland on Tuesday
but failed to change the firms mind.

They now plan to stage a demonstration at IHC Calands first half results
presentation on August 24, and at the analysts meeting a day later.

``We will also buy one of the shares so we have the right to speak at the
annual meeting in May next year but we hope that wont be necessary,'' said
Gijs Hillenius, coordinator at the Burma Centre.

Bax was unfazed by the threats.

``Good luck to them. We will not evade any discussions,'' he said.

The groups say a substantial part of the money would end up in the pockets
of the military government.

``Its not just a few guilders were talking about -- its hundreds of
millions. The only thing the Burmese goverment will do with that money is
strengthen its suppressive hold on the population,'' Hillenius said.

``They are not investing in education or health. Around 50 to 60 percent of
the budget goes on defence.

``We have been speaking with the company several times asking it to stop
this project. If it doesnt, we will hold it responsible for the continuing
repression in Burma,'' he said.

The pressure groups plan to lobby major shareholders in IHC Caland, they
said, particularly the College Retirement Equity Fund and General Electric
in the United States.

``I am not pessimistic. We have a clear argument. IHC Caland is bluntly
sweeping aside its responsibility,'' Hillenius said.