NCGUB PM's Message to 8888 Rallies

MESSAGE OF FELICITATIONS OF
THE NATIONAL COALITION GOVERNMENT OF THE UNION OF BURMA AT
THE 1Oth ANNIVERSARY OF THE 8888 NATION WIDE DEMOCRATIC UPRISING

August 8, 1998

On this historic occasion of the 10th anniversary of the 8888 nationwide
democratic uprising, the National Coalition Government of the Union of
Burma (NCGUB), would like to extend its warmest greetings and express our
gratitude to all governments, individuals and organizations who have worked
tirelessly and selflessly to assist the peoples of Burma in their efforts
to restore human rights and democracy in Burma.

It is the time for all of us to remember those who participated in the 8888
movement. The 8888 movement was initiated by students who have carried,
generation by generation, the "spirit of the fighting peacock" -- the
spirit which is bold enough to speak out the grievances of the people and
ready to fight injustice even in the face of brutal oppression. Later, the
movement was joined by people from all walks of life; Buddhist monks,
workers, farmers, government servicemen, even patriotic soldiers from the
Tatmadaw (Burmese army). The 8888 uprising taught us that people power is
strong enough to shake the oppressor and collapse the bureaucratic
machinery that is the base of the oppressor's power.

After ten years, our movement is stronger. The tide of the democracy has
been rising by the day since the NLD's call for convening of parliament by
August 21. The time has come for all of us to rally around the NLD and
support them in every way possible. It is fear that keep us in the chains
of militarism. We must overcome this fear to remove our  chains.  We can
liberate by ourselves and make the military know that we are human beings
with dignity; that we are the masters of our own destinies--not slaves to
their  tyranny.

Today, the course of history is towards democracy and human rights.  The
military regime is on the wrong side of history because they cannot forever
hold back democracy.  Governments and peoples around the world are joining
us in our common struggle against the barbaric conduct of the military
regime.  In the last seven years, the United Nations has adopted
consecutive resolutions that condemn the human rights violations of the
regime and strongly urged them to respect the will of the people in the
light of the 1990 general elections.  People from around the world have
been joining our struggle. Cities and towns have adopted legislation to
support our cause. Our movement has spread beyond our national boundaries
and this growing international solidarity is the newest chapter of our
struggle.  The world is joining us in our journey home to freedom.

On this historic occasion:

Let us pay tribute to all who sacrificed their lives for this 2nd
independence struggle of Burma.

Let us unite and redouble our efforts to end militarism and to build a
genuine democratic federal union where equality, justice and
self-determination of all ethnic nationalities are guaranteed.

Dr. Sein Win
Prime Minister