Bohmu Aung's statement including Ap

It is unofficial translation.

-----------------
A SOLICITATION BY BOHMU AUNG AND HIS POLITICAL COLLEAGUES FOR IMMEDIATE
DIALOGUE AND UNITED EFFORT TOWARDS RECONCILIATION AT THE MOMENT OF
BURMA'S POLITICAL CRISIS

1. We make this appeal in a genuine spirit motivated only by our deep
concern for the good of our people and country because of:
our personal involvement in the struggle for Burma's independence;
our efforts to defend and preserve that sovereignty;
our desire for the unity of all the nationalities of the Union and our
concern to prevent its disintegration and
our loyalty to our brothers, leaders and comrades who sacrificed their
lives at different stages of our struggle.

2. Since the 24 November 1995, we have repeatedly appealed and written
for dialogue to bring about unity and reconciliation while disclosing
the political, economic and social problems that the country has been
facing.

Those problems have not diminished but have increased to such a
magnitude that we are now overcome with the stark distress and grief. We
do not write this just to be negative and critical. We have studied and
analysed the facts and now present the situation accurately.

3. We are deeply perplexed at the present political impasse and fear
that it will peak in crisis that will spell disaster. The people have
the same foreboding.

4. The past experience of use of force in setting a conflict because of
different political views resulted in loss of lives, properties and
wealth , the bitter fruits of which are still being tasted. There has
been no peace. Can we not avoid the kind of turmoil in other lands for
the same reasons?

5. There should not be a head-on confrontation in today's political
crisis. The State Peace and Development Council (SPDC) and the National
League for Democracy (NLD) are not opposition parties. They are not
enemies because of rank and class. There is no deep-seated enmity with a
desire for revenge and retribution. We firmly believe that solutions can
be found to all our social, political and economic problems if they work
together in a spirit of goodwill like brothers and sisters seeking
genuine reconciliation.

6. The SPDC has taken every opportunity to declare that they do not
intend to hold on to power forever. They have stated  that their
objectives is to draft a constitution and created a true democratic
system for the prosperity and development of the country.

The NLD is requesting the SPDC to convene parliament and honour the
results of the general elections of 1990 which was an act of the leaders
of the military.

It must be presumed that what is being said and done by both sides is
what they believe to be in the interest of the country and to overcome
the difficulties and  problems the country is facing.

You can not achieve your objectives by working independently of each
other. Making accusations, levelling charges, and working in opposition
to each other will only  result in greater hatred, desire for revenge,
suspicion and mistrust. You will eventually be swallowed up by these
vices. Recent incidents experienced in the country will bear witness to
this fact.

7. Therefore, if you truly want to serve the country, if you have a
genuine love and loyalty for the country and if you desire to overcome
the problems we are faced with today, the only way is by
reconciliation. The SPDC and the NLD must come together in a common and
harmonious action to discuss with the ethnic nationalities and other
democratic forces and formulate a united strategy for peace and
development. This is an appeal and request made with all due respect.

8. Before it is too  late, you should meet and discuss the problems like
fellow citizens and countrymen, brothers and sisters with patience and
understanding, without suspicion and hatred but with mutual trust and
forgiveness in your hearts and minds. Only then your objectives will be
attained and the country will be rejuvenated and all the people will
surely bless  you.

The earlier or the quicker you meet and discuss the problems, the
earlier and quicker our fears will end and the quicker you can solve the
problems of the country.

9. We declare our readiness and willingness to give our services in any
way for the sake of national unity. We are not motivated by personal
gain or fame. Our main desire is to promote peace and unity.

(Bohmu Aung)
on behalf of my political colleagues

APPENDIX TO BOHMU AUNG'S SOLICITATION

1) The Economic Situation

1.1. We have no doubt about the genuineness of the goals and objectives
that both the State Law and Order Restoration Council and now the
Special Peace and Development Council have had. But the money needed to
meet the cost of implementing those objectives is out of proportion to
its revenue. The budget is always in deficit.

Government's Budget deficit

Financial year 	Deficit 	Index		Percentage of GDP

1987-88            	4022               100                      5.8
1989-88            	6315               157                      8.3
1989-90            	8020               199                      6.4
1990-91            	10204             279                     7.4
1991-92            	12311              306                     6.6
1992-93            	12094              301                     4.8
1993-94            	15517               386                     4.3
1994-95           	29647               737                     6.3
1995-96           	38820               965                     6.4
1996-97(*)	     	54469             1354                     7.6

(*) Preliminary
Source: Statistical Yearbook  1997

1.2. The following table shows the volume of currency has increased two
thousands times.

 Financial year      Volume (Kyats one million)		     Index

1987-88                               9713
100
1989-88                              15937
164
1989-90                              21536
222
1990-91                              32333
333
1991-92                              52307
538
1992-93                              70428
725
1993-94                              84381
869
1994-95                             119061
1226
1995-96                             152615
1571
1996-979(*)  		          199845
2057
1997(May) (*)                    205734
2118

(*) Preliminary
Source: Statistical Yearbook 1997,
	     Selected Monthly Economic Indicators.

1.3. Economists deduce that budget deficits is the main cause of
inflation. The rate of inflation for period of 1990 to 1994 was 26.1%
according to the World Bank report  dated 16.10.95.
1.4. Figures for foreign trade always show a deficit.

Value of foreign trade (Kyat one million)

Year		Export			Import		Surplus(+)/deficit(-)

 1987-88         1655.2               4065.7             (-)  2410.5
1989-88         2168.9                3443.0             (-)  1274.1
1989-90          2834.1                3395.0            (-)   560.9
1990-91          2952.6                5522.8            (-)   2570.2
1991-92          2925.9                5336.7            (-)    2410.8
1992-93          3590.0                5365.3            (-)   1775.3
1993-94          4227.8                7923.3            (-)  3695.5
1994-95          5405.2                8332.3            (-)  5927.0
1995-96          5006.1               10301.6           (-)  5295.5
1996-97(*)      5242.2             11343.0           (-)   6100.8

(*) Preliminary
 Source: Statistical Yearbook  1997

1.5. Furthermore, the table below shows that the price index in Rangoon
has increased by more than twenty percent annually.

Customer Price Index in Rangoon
Basic year- 1986 =100

Year		Customer Price Index	Percentage Increase

1987-88                     126.53                               22.03
1989-88                     155.00                               22.50
1989-90                     191.73                               23.50
1990-91                     233.73                               21.91
1991-92                     301.78                               29.12
1992-93                     369.09                               22.30
1993-94                     492.99                               33.57
1994-95                     603.66                               22.45
1995-96                     735.51                               21.84
1996-97                     882.81                               20.03
1997(December)      1264.49                              31.67

Source: Statistical Yearbook  1997
1997-98 Financial Affairs, Economic Affairs, Social Affairs

1.6. The deficit in the budget is enormous. Inflation is rampant.
Currency volume is growing. Income from foreign trade is dwindling. Cost
of living is increasing annually by 20%. Therefore we are facing
economic catastrophe.

2. The Social Situation
2.1.Education

It is good to see that the number of basic education schools, poly
technique institutions, universities and colleges has increased and
there is an attempt to raise standards and increase the number of
teachers but the proportion of teachers to pupils is very low. There  is
a shortage of buildings, equipment, resources and educational materials.

Because the universities and colleges have been closed for years there
is a long wait after students have finished school to continue their
studies for a university education. University courses have lasted for
four, five and sixth months and students have been promoted.

Preliminary statistics of Education Expenditure for 1997-98 shows 0.9%
of Net Domestic Production (NDP).

2.2. Health

There is an increase in the number of medical clinics, medical doctors
and attendants, but there is a shortage of medicines and equipment.
Patients have had to supply their own cotton wool, bandages etc. and
since the prices are so exorbitant, those who can not afford are left to
die.

Preliminary statistics shows Health expenditure for 1997-98 is 2970
millions kyat which is only 0.3% of  Net  Domestic Productioon (NDP).

Expenditure on Education, Health and Defence
(Kyats one million)

Year		Education	Health		Defence

1987-88            1290.0       471.4             1511.9
1988-89            1288.8       464.1             2131.4
1989-90            2947.5       811.1             4614.8
1990-91            3885.0     1582.0             5436.2
1991-92            4810.3     1886.3              6086.2
1992-93            4735.6     2076.7              9126.7
1993-94            5566.6     1916.4             13884.1
1994-95            5831.8     2138.7             17694.1
1995-96            6648.8     2411.6             21819 .9
1996-97           11088.9    2826.8             22715.1

Source: Statistical Yearbook  1997
1997-98 Financial Affairs, Economic Affairs, Social Affairs

3. Administration

Ever since the government of the Revolutionary Council the machinery of
governing has been transferred to the military officers, warrant
officers, sergeant, corporals etc. blocking the promotion of civilian
government servants. The criteria for appointments is not based on
ability but on humble and obedient service. This has considerably
lowered the morale those in government service.

The salary received by government servants, including military personnel
is extremely inadequate to meet their living expenses because of the
spiraling prices.

In his speech, General Khin Nyunt, Secretary 1 of the SPDC has stated
that there is much corruption.

4. Foreign Relations

The newspapers constantly repeat the names and rank of foreign
dignitaries visiting the country and government's representatives
visiting foreign countries. The content of discussions that take place
is never officially published, so the public including ourselves have no
knowledge  whatsoever. Therefore there is reason to believe that
relations between the State Peace and Development Council and foreign
governments are not cordial.

5. For Reconciliation of the Nation

5.1. We therefore have only one conclusion to arrive at and that is that
we are facing a very tight and difficult crisis in the fiends of
politics, commerce, social, administration, and foreign relations. This
is a bona fide and honest belief.

5.2. Solving these difficult situations and crisis that everyone is
facing can not be accomplished by an individual or by  one party or by
one organisation. All the nationalities must combine and find solutions
to this impasse.

5.3. At every appropriate occasion the leaders of the previous State Law
and Order Restoration Council and the present State Peace and
Development Council have been claiming that they will transfer power,
that they are working on a constitution to enable them to transfer
power. But it has been over a year since the National Convention for
drafting the constitution has been suspended.

5.4.  The National League for Democracy that gained the most votes in
the 1990 General Election has demanded that Parliament be convened by
the 21 August.