Aung San Suu Kyi in 7th day of dead

  Aung San Suu Kyi in 7th day of deadlock with Myanmar junta

  Tue 18 Aug 98 - 12:19 GMT

  YANGON, Aug 18 (AFP) - Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi
  Tuesday spent a seventh day in a battle
  of wills with the junta on a rural bridge, while her National League
  for Democracy (NLD) and the junta held
  landmark talks in Yangon.

  "It's way to early to say there is any rapprochement, but it is
  progress," said one Western diplomat.

  National League for Democracy chairman Aung Shwe met for nearly an hour
  with junta intelligence chief Lieutenant
  General Khin Nyunt, widely seen as number two in the military
  heirarchy, the NLD and junta said in separate
  statements.

  The junta described the talks as "open, cordial and frank."

  "We hope this is the first in a series of confidence-building talks
  between the government and the NLD," Khun Nyunt
  was quoted as saying.

  "We have had a fruitful meeting and we also have appreciated the NLD's
  acceptance of our offer of a meeting."

  The NLD had declined previous invitations for talks as they excluded
  party secretary general Aung San Suu Kyi and
  other key members.

  Diplomats and residents said the capital was calm but reported
  widespread rumours there would be unrest on
  Friday, when the Nobel peace prizewinner has demanded the parliament
  elected in 1990 meets for the first time.

  The NLD expressed concern about Aung San Suu Kyi's health and asked
  that her doctor be allowed to examine her.

  "Their food is running low and this could adversely effect her health,"
  the party said late Monday, adding the doctor
  had seen her and would make daily examinations.

  The party has also demanded the release of two NLD supporters -- Thein
  Oo and Ohn Hla -- who it said were
  detained when they tried to visit the site of the stand-off on a small
  bridge linking a highway to rice paddies 25
  kilometres (15 miles) from Yangon.

  Aung San Suu Kyi, along with two drivers and an NLD official, was
  stopped by authorities last Wednesday as she
  tried to travel to meet supporters outside Yangon. It was her fourth
  failed bid to visit provincial supporters in a little
  over a month.

  The junta has played down the latest stand-off as a "camping"
  expedition and has repeatedly said it is doing all it
  can to ensure her welfare.

  The NLD held the junta responsible for Aung San Suu Kyi falling ill
  following the last confrontation, which ended
  after six days on July 29 when she was forcibly driven back to Yangon.

  Officials have said she has been provided with food, a mobile bathroom
  and even "a beach umbrella" and "garden
  chairs," as well as reading material, a cassette player and tapes by
  Michael Jackson and Madonna.

  "Her only options are to stay put or go home. I would expect she would
  return home before August 21 because the
  deadline will lose a lot of its impact if she isn't even there," said a
  Western diplomat.

  The NLD-led opposition won the 1990 polls by a landslide but the junta
  has refused to give up power.

  The NLD has not said what action it will take if parliament is not
  convened but other opposition groups have called
  for a mass campaign of civil disobedience.

  Residents expect small shops and businesses will stay closed Friday.

  "There's a lot of talk of trouble, but nobody has any details," said
  one diplomat.

  But analysts said there was little chance of serious confrontation. A
  limited protest by the NLD was seen as the most
  likely scenario if the junta, as is expected, ignores the deadline.

  "I think we might see some form of protest by the NLD but that could
  just be a meeting at her house," said an Asian
  envoy.

  "It would likely be something very low key, but there are these other
  groups out there who might try something else."

  Exiled Myanmar student groups Tuesday pledged their support for Aung
  San Suu Kyi's stand-off and the demand that
  parliament be convened.

  "We hereby denounce the regime for still barring Daw (honorific) Aung
  San Suu Kyi from freedom of movement,"
  the Thailand-based groups said in a statement.

  "The regime has not shown any signs to convene a democractic parliament
  that must be convened within four days.

  "We therefore will need to prepare to stand by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi to
  make her able to convene a democratic
  parliament herself."

  The statement was issued by the Overseas National Students Organisation
  of Burma, the All Burma Basic Education
  Students Union, and the Burmese Students Association.

  If the junta fails to convene parliament, some opposition groups have
  said Aung San Suu Kyi may unilaterally
  declare a new government. However diplomats said such a move would be
  largely symbolic as the junta retains
  firm control.

  ©AFP 1998