NCGUB STATEMENT ON MEETING BETWEEN

<center>NCGUB Statement Concerning Meeting Between U Aung Shwe And Lt.
Gen. Khin Nyunt

</center>

On August 18, 1998, the NLD Chairman U Aung Shwe met with SPDC Secretary
(1) Lt. Gen. Khin Nyunt, Secretary (3) Lt. Gen. Win Myint, Chief Justice
U Aung Toe, Attorney Gen. U Tha Tun, Military Intelligence Department
Deputy Director Brig. Gen. Kyaw Win and Military Strategic Study
Department Office Chief Col. Than Tun, at the Defense Guest House No.
2.

1. The present meeting is only a positive act in the process that could
lead to a truly political meeting.  However, it is still premature to
specify the present meeting as the first step to democratic changes. We
must keep watch on the activities of the SPDC, and see whether there are
changes in the position of  SPDC.

2. In July 1997, though there was such a meeting between NLD Chairman U
Aung Shwe and Lt. Gen. Khin Nyunt, there had been not a single political
change that could be termed as positive. If the SPDC is well-meaning, it
should take a course leading to a dialogue participated by Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi.

3. If the SPDC intend to make real political changes, it should meet Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi, in addition to U Aung Shwe. It is the firm position of
the Central Committee and Central Executive Committee of the NLD to
include both U Aung Shwe and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi in any politically
significant dialogue. The meeting of U Aung Shwe by the SPDC, while
blocking the trip of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, is a cause for much suspicion
and doubt. As much as the SPDC does not have the right to choose the NLD
participants for dialogue, it should not endeavor to exclude Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi from dialogue.

4. We, the NCGUB, would like to urge our friends, in the International
Community, and the people not to cease actions that should be performed,
on the  assumption that  the present act of the SPDC is a positive step
towards change. We should resolutely struggle on by keeping our focus on
the demand by the NLD to convene parliament by August 21, 1998. Only the
implementation of May 1990 election results, that have been ignored by
the SPDC for more than eight years, will bring peace, stability and
development, in accordance with the needs of the people.

For that reason, we would like to appeal to the people to join hands with
the NLD in the struggle to return sovereignty to the people, taking
seriously the demand by the NLD to convene parliament by the 21st of
August.

August 19, 1998