Friends of Burma (Newfoundland & La

Dear Friends,

Friends of Burma (Newfoundland and Labrador) will be holding a
candlelight vigil Friday August 21 (9 pm NDT, gazebo outside the LSPU
Hall, St. John's, Newfoundland) to mark the NLD's call for the
convention of the legitimate parliament elected in 1990.  We will also
be honouring the memory of U Saw Win, U Hla Than and U Tin Maung Win,
who died in custody merely for having been chosen to represent the
Burmese people; finally, we will recognize the courage of the over 40
Burmese MP who are still unjustly imprisoned.

We welcome statements from any and all groups working towards the
restoration of democracy, human rights and peace to Burma.  Any
received will be read at the vigil.  We extend our solidarity to
others all over the world who are marking this day.

On behalf of Friends of Burma (Newfoundland and Labrador),

Ed Hudson

Web page: http://www.infonet.st-johns.nf.ca/burma