Dissidents Hunger Strike in Bangkok

Myanmar dissidents start Bangkok hunger strike

BANGKOK, Aug 22 (Reuters) - A group of 26 Myanmar dissidents in Thailand said
on Saturday they had begun a hunger strike to press their country's military
government to allow the convening of a democratic parliament and hand over
power.

``We have set no timeframe for the hunger strike, we will call it off only
after the political situation in Burma (Myanmar) improves,'' said Zaw Wint, a
spokesman for the group.

The 26 were among about 100 Myanmar dissidents who have been camped in front
of the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok since August 3.

Most of the dissidents have been in Thailand since fleeing a bloody crackdown
on Myanmar's pro-democracy movement in 1988.

On Friday, Myanmar's opposition National League for Democracy, led by Nobel
Peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi, made its most defiant challenge to military
rule by saying it would shortly call a ``People's Parliament.''

03:52 08-22-98