Group Says Suu Kyi's Doctors Barred (r)

Re: Group says Suu Kyi's doctor barred
=======================================

>Suu Kyi has offered to end her protest if the government releases >from
prison members of her party elected to parliament and all those
>arrested after May this year.
>
>``No detained NLD members have been freed yet,'' Tin Oo said Sunday.

Though her protests have been widely seen as non-violent in nature, the
military regime has ignored her offer to end her protest and let Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi and her three colleagues remained stranded in a van 19
miles west of the capital for twelve days.

>``The personal physicians of Aung San Suu Kyi were not allowed to >see
her Saturday,'' said Tin Oo, the vice chairman of Suu Kyi's >National
League for Democracy.
>``They waited for a response from the authorities, but they did not
>get any. The authorities did not give any reason. We are trying to >get
permission today,'' Tin Oo, a former general, defense minister >and
Buddhist monk, said.

Under the circumstances, we cannot let Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's health
deteriorating away in this manner. It is better for everyone that she
gets her health restored before her kidneys are seriously impaired or
other complications arise.

Therefore, we urge that other leaders of the NLD should make immediately
plan to take care of that.

Minn Kyaw Minn
==============

> [...]
>
>``The personal physicians of Aung San Suu Kyi were not allowed to see
her
>Saturday,'' said Tin Oo, the vice chairman of Suu Kyi's National League
for
>Democracy.
>
>``They waited for a response from the authorities, but they did not get
any.
>The authorities did not give any reason. We are trying to get
permission
>today,'' Tin Oo, a former general, defense minister and Buddhist monk,
said.

>Suu Kyi's doctors were permitted to visit her twice earlier in the
week. They
>said after examining her the first time that she was suffering from low
blood
>pressure and some kidney problems. On Friday, they said her blood
pressure had
>improved.
>
>Suu Kyi has offered to end her protest if the government releases from
prison
>members of her party elected to parliament and all those arrested after
May
>this year.
>
>``No detained NLD members have been freed yet,'' Tin Oo said Sunday.
>
>The NLD set Aug. 21 as a deadline for the military to convene the
parliament
>elected in 1990. The NLD won 82 percent of the seats in the assembly,
but the
>military, which has ruled Myanmar, also known as Burma, since 1962,
ignored
>the result.
>
>After the deadline passed, the NLD announced it would call a parliament
>session on its own, setting up a serious confrontation with the
government.

>The military responded with mass arrests of NLD members on previous
occasions
>the party attempted to hold meetings.
>
>An editorial in Sunday's state-run New Light of Myanmar said the
government
>``has achieved unprecedented success.''
>
>``However the threat of neocolonialists and their lap dogs are working
for a
>recurrence of the 1988 nightmare, the trauma of which still haunts
those who
>have gone through it,'' it said.
>
>The military brutally crushed a nationwide democracy uprising in 1988
by
>gunning down more than 3,000 protesters. The military has said only a
few
>dozen died.
>
>It frequently accuses Suu Kyi and her colleagues of being controlled by
>Western countries intent on subjecting Myanmar to neocolonialist
control.

>Suu Kyi is the winner of the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize for her nonviolent
>campaign to bring democracy to Myanmar.
>
>Myanmar was a colony of Great Britain from 1824 to 1948. Under Gen. Ne
Win,