ADDRESS OF JAPANESE EMBASSY IN CANB

27-Aug-98

For our friends on the net, the address of Japanese
Embassy in Canberra:

THE AMBASSADOR
EMBASSY OF JAPAN
113 EMPIRE CIRCUIT
YARRALUMLA ACT 2600
CANBARRA, AUSTRALIA.
TEL(06)273-3244
(I DON'T HAVE THEIR FAX NUMBER)

/* Written Tue 25 Aug 11:00am 1998 by drunoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* ---------" Letter to Masahiko Koumura, Japanese FM "------------- */

LETTER TO HON.MASAHIKO KOUMURA, JAPAN'S FOREIGN MINISTER
Dr U Ne Oo
18 Shannon Place
Adelaide SA 5000
AUSTRALIA.

25th August 1998

Hon. Masahiko Koumura
Minister for Foreign Affairs
2-2-1 Kasumigaseki
Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo-100-0013
Japan

Dear Minister,

I firstly call your attention to the Japan's private company,
Mitsubishi Corporation, conducting illegitimate deals with
Myanmar Oil and Gas Enterprise (MOGE) of Burma.  It is reported
that  the Mitsubishi Corporation has recently signed an
agreement to extend $130 million loan to MOGE, one of Burma's
state owned enterprises, without seeking the approval of
democratically elected parliament of Burma. As minister is
no doubt aware, MOGE under current Burma's military junta,
State Peace and Development Council, has no legitimate
authority to accept loans or to conclude business deal with
a foreign firm, such as Mitsubishi Corporation. For Burma's
state owned enterprises, such as MOGE,  accepting loan or
making business deal with foreign firms must firstly have
the approval of democratically elected parliament. I therefore
urge the Government of Japan to intervene the situation and
persuade Mitsubishi Corporation  to follow a legitimate
procedure in making business deal with MOGE, i.e. Mitsubishi
Corporation to seek approval of democratically elected
parliament for making business contracts. First and foremost,
the Mitsubishi Corporation must discuss its business proposals
with the Central Executive Committee of  National League for
Democracy. In this connection, I enclosed my 1997 letters to
U.S. State Department and,  also, the Unocal Corporation
that currently has a business deals with Burma.

Secondly, I am concerned about the Japan's immigration
authorities threatening to deport Burmese asylum seekers.
I ask the Government of Japan to give a dignified treatment
to our asylum seekers and to follow international standards
in assessing their application for refugee status in Japan.

Thirdly, I urge the Government of Japan to cancel its debt
relief grants to Burma so as to pressure the military junta
to make negotiation with the opposition leaders. Whilst Burma
need to urgently settle its debt repayments to Japan and
many other donor countries, I urge the Government of Japan
to directly contact the Central Executive Committee of
National League for Democracy to discuss Burma's debt
repayments. I also urge Government of Japan to use
multilateral route, such as International Monetary Fund,
to settle Burma debt repayment problems.

Finally, I support the Government of Japan's efforts to
encourage  a dialogue in Burma. I have been personally
advocating the Burmese junta and NLD to form a transitional
government, with the existing cabinet serving as
EXECUTIVE BRANCH and National Parliament serving as a
LEGISLATURE. I believe such arrangement will ensure the
political stability in Burma and provide a smooth path
towards democratic transition. Continuing pressure and
persuasion made by Government of Japan to Burmese military
junta towards this end are greatly appreciated by the
Burmese people.

In closing, I thank you and Government of Japan for your
continuing efforts for peace and reconciliation in Burma.

Yours respectfully and sincerely
Sd.(U NE OO)

/* Endreport */