Reflections on US Policy on Burma a

Reflections on US Policy on Burma and recent political developments between
NLD & SPDC
26th Aungust 1998

August 21 was the deadline for convening the Parliament  and SPDC, the junta
accused NLD , the winning party led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, of creating
tension in the nation and I am sure the junta wants to have normal relations
with the United States. The United States policy toward Burma is as usual
and firm as what Secretary of State, Madeleine Albright has reckoned that
the call for convening parliament was a "moment of truth in our effort to
promote dialogue in Burma".

In a much more blunt language, the United States agrees at the NLD's call
for the National Convention as soon as possible. Only when there is a
National Convention , there will be a meaningful dialogue.The United States
sees the event as a historic opportunity to transform Burma into a peaceful
nation that will bear fruit not only for the people but for the ruling junta
as well. National reconciliation is despeartely needed in Burma. The United
States has already urged Japan,Indonesia,Thailand and Philippines to discuss
the situation in Burma.This is how serious the United States is in
influencing the situation in Burma. The United States is optimistic about
the initial informal meeting between SPDC leader General Khin Nyunt and U
Aung Shwe, Chaiman of NLD.The United States wants to see SPDC release
political prisoners as a gesture of starting a genuine dialogue.

The recent United States Department of State Press release says" To that
end, the United States remains committed to working in partnership with all
parties of good will in Burma and with others in the international community."

SPDC ,according to the information released by USIA, is bankrupt beyond
compare.How SPDC is trying to bankroll itself is somewhat unimaginable and
some friends of mine were asking me if Bin Laden were involved in Burma and
I had to say,"That I haven't made research about".

By  Julien Moe