NLD Statement No. 44 (9/98)

1, A peaceful demonstration was held on the 24th August 1998, in the
vicinity of Hletan Road and the Hanthawaddy circle by students from the
Rangoon University and another by the students from the Rangoon Institute
of Technology on the 2nd of September. The students voiced their grievances
and demanded their rights in relation to their education.

2, The National League for Democracy which is acting in the national
interest, made very strong representation to the authorities not to respond
to the situation in a brutal and harassment but to try to understand the
grievances and to attempt to solve them peacefully.

3, The whole nation must be united in the face of the current situation and
circumstances. If we all (all nationalities, all ethnic groups, all
citizens from every strata of society including students) join and work
together, we will achieve national unity.

4th September 1998.