"Let's make things better" Philips

Dutch Daily newspaper NRC Handelsblad today announced that also the
multinational Philips Electronics pulls out of Burma. Here is a translation

Philips-Electronics pulls back from Burmese market

>From one of our staf reporters

Rotterdam, September 7th - Philips has pulled out of the Burmese market.
According to two written statements that the electronics giant sent to the
NRC Handelsblad "all export of Philips products has been halted." Next to
this, Philips will cease all support and marketing activities. Earlier
plans for a sales-department in Burma were cancelled "definetively".
Last Friday it became known that the European clothing stores chain C&A
will no longer do business in the military controled country "because the
suppression and violations of human rights there are abhorrable."
The now apparent exodus of Dutch companies from Burma started two years
ago. Beerbrewer Heineken took the lead by turning its back to the brewery
in Burma after a broad civil discussion in the Netherlands about what is
seen here as one of the worlds' most cruel dictatorships. At that time
Philips remained active. The name Philips was among other broadely
published during soccermatches on the Burmese state television.
Reacting on an article in this newspaper on August 8, which stated that the
electronics firm still has a agressive media-campaign, the Eindhoven based
company stated "to have ceased operations in August 1996." The
Philips-spokesperson: "Until today did not want to publicize this decision.
Considering the current situation we think it is wise to make public that
we do not want to have anything to do with Burma."

The statement comes as a surprise to the Burma Centre Netherlands. "We
welcome the decision," says co-ordinator Gijs Hillenius, "even though we
are suprised that the company has remained silent so long." Hillenius is
sceptical about the timing of Philip's withdrawal, August 1st 1996. In a
letter, supplied by the (Dutch) ministery of Foreign Affairs and dated
August 30 from the Dutch Ambassy in Bangkok to the French Ambassador Roger
Ogier in Rangoon, Philips is still mentioned as one of the Duthc companies
in Burma. The Embassy has intensive contacts with personal from Dutch
multinationals.
Confronted with this letter, the spokesperson in a second written reaction
states that Philips withdrew completely in September 1996. This because
"noting the local situation did nto want to run the risc to become involved
in political machinations."
Reliable sources within the company say that there was another, more
important reason. Several United States' cities (like San Francisco) and
states (like Massachusetts) are pressuring companies not to be active in
Burma for several years.
Even thought Philips says to have severed the ties with Burma two years
ago,  everywhere in Rangoon its slogan "Lets' make things better" can be
seen. "All these advertisements on the busstops and ariport luggagecarts
date from 1996," says the company. "All these contracts where annuled."
When Heineken withdrew from Burma, the staterun newspaper made it clear to
the polulation that it was the "patriotic duty" of all never to drink
Heineken beer again. Heineken-advertisements were removed. In the same
manner, it is no longer possible to see advertisements from Pepsi Cola,
Levi-Strauss adn Reebok in the capital. Why would the Burmese generals deal
differently with Philips? Why is there an meters high fluorescent Philips
sign on top of one of the highest building in Rangoon?  It seems odd that
the city that is plauged by regular failure in the electricity grid would
grant this pleasure to the Dutch company.
"I do not want to make it a secret that Philips is very frustrated by
this," reacts the spokesperson. "We have not paid for these advertisements
in the last two years and it is a mistery why they continues to exist."
Coincidentally, ceo Robert Martijsse of Philips Thailand, recently heard
from Burma that the slogan will be removed from view. Also the neon sign
will be pulled down."
Answering the question where the hair-dryers, shaving machines and
household appliances come from that are still on sale in prominent
locations such as the Yusana (?? illegible) Department store, Philips
states "Parallel imports has continued sofar, be it without any form of
support from Philips."
This is diffferent from the move from C&A which severed even those ties.
The indirect trade relations have not been stopped. "I honestly admit we
have not gone that far, but it would very much be possible that we halt
these soon."
The statements from Philips are incomplete if not incorrect, it becomes
clear after speaking one more time with Robert Mattijsse. "I would like to
see our advertisements removed from Burma. But we can't guarantee at all
that this will happen. Al those "lets' make things better signs" were
donated in the summer of 1996 to the Yangon (Rangoon) Town Council. The
same is true for benches and trollies on the airport. The problem is that
we can't force the junta to remove something we have given them. There will
be advertisements for Philips in Burma as long as the junta wishes."

End report.