UNLD: Statement No. 7/98

The following was posted on the net due to the request of the UNLD (LA).
News and Information Secretariat.
(FTUB)
-------------------------------

		United Nationalities League for Democracy
			(Liberated Area)

			Statement No. 7/98

- The UNLD was originally formed by 27 political parties in Burma.

- Within UNLD, a total of 67 of the founding members were elected MPs.

- The original UNLD was abolished by SLORC in 1992 in order to eliminate
its opposition to their sham National Constitution Convention.

- The UNLD was reformed in a liberated area on 12/2/98 by 10 political
parties and 6 exiled MPs.

- We hold resolutely that the SPDC must recognize the 1990 election result
and comply accordingly.

- We further contented that the SPDC's refusal to allow Convention of the
NLD Parliamentarians is a flagrant crime and gross insult to the people of
Burma.

- The UNLD continues unwaveringly in its support of current Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi led calls for the convention of NLD MP's.

- The UNLD strongly condemns the SPDC's creation of bogus social unrest in
Burma as a way of responding to and countering NLD's Democratic moves.

- The UNLD will resolutely strive for the ultimate goal of a genuine
Federal system, and equality of rights for all peoples of Burma.

Panel of Chairmen
UNLD (Liberated Area)
Dated September 11, 1998