YELLOW FLOWERS FOR DEMOCRACY CAMPAI

BURMESE WOMEN'S UNION & ALTSEAN-BURMA PRODUCE 'YELLOW FLOWERS' FOR DEMOCRACY
CAMPAIGN

The Burmese Women's Union and Altsean-Burma have produced postcards and
badges to support the democracy movement's call for supporters to use the
colour yellow as an expression of solidarity.

The postcards which depict yellow flowers are produced for supporters to
post to

* government officials in Burma and overseas to show support for the
Peoples' Parliament

* to friends around the world to ask them to join the campaign

The badges are produced for people in Burma and around the world to wear
to show their (silent) support for the Peoples' Parliament.

Campaign packs (20 postcards, 5 badges in each) are available from Sept. 18
at the cost of US$ 7 each including postage for friends outside Thailand.
This price will subsidise  the cost of sending materials into Burma.

To order these packs pls contact <altsean@xxxxxxxxxx>

For other information, pls email <bwunion@xxxxxxxxxxxx> or
<altsean@xxxxxxxxxx>.

-------------------------

APPEAL TO THE WOMEN OF BURMA AND OF THE WORLD

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi has said:

"Democracy is a civil administration, in which people are holding many
responsibilities. Responsibility and rights cannot be divided. We should
understand the responsibility of democracy if we want the rights of
democracy."

Dear Women of Burma and Sisters around the World,

"People" includes the multi-ethnic women of Burma. It is time that women,
who form more than half the population, make a clear stand for peace and
democracy. It is time for all of us to act.

Women in rural areas are suffering from forced portering, forced labor,
forced relocation and rape perpetrated by the military regime. In the urban
areas, women suffer from the results of recurring economic and social
disasters. Everywhere in Burma, women face a life rapidly deteriorating
under the military dictatorship.

Dear Sisters,

The National League for Democracy's repeated calls for dialogue to solve
Burma's problems peacefully have been ignored by the regime. The NLD led by
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi has also called for the State Peace and Development
Council (SPDC) to convene the Parliament by 21st August, 1998 and this too,
has been ignored. It is time for all of us to give whole-hearted support to
the movement which is working for a safe and secure future for Burma.

We have a special way to show this support without being confrontational or
exposed to great danger. The democracy movement has called on people to wear
yellow to show their desire for a Peoples' Parliament. We would like to
request all Women of Burma and their supporters to wear something yellow -
clothes, ribbon, hairpins, flowers or the campaign badge until democracy is
restored. Please do this - it is an opportunity for all women to support our
country.

Yours in solidarity,

Central Committee
Burmese Women's Union