Bakatha update 17th September, 98.

ALL BURMA FEDERATION OF STUDENT UNIONS.

Bakatha update
17th September, 98.

The Y.I.T examinations - done through many threats and restrictions.

The examination of Y.I.T took place through threatening and many
restrictions. At the notice board, the hostel wardens announced that the
students had to leave from the hostel before 15th Sep, evening. The
authorities emphasized that the days as there were many rumors that the
students would demonstrate at the last day of the exam.
On that day, the authorities including the professors, the teachers,
military intelligent and security forces (Lon Htain) were standing at all
the entrances of Y.I.T Compound, especially at the main gate. The Student
affairs' office in the university is totally control by the MIS. Near the
University, there are many special riot police and the police trucks are
parked in the compound of Agriculture Research Office and other government
offices.
There are many cars and bus to carry the students to their homes as soon as
the examinations had finished. The professors also argued the hostel
students to go back their hostel. One of the student groups, going back to
the hostel shouted, "We don't want the Education Committee and the chairman
of that".
During the examination period, the authority announced the list of students
who were prominent in the recent demonstrations. They are altogether 27
students. They had sit the exam at the special room, totally control by the
MIS and professors. They were also under watch and send back to the home
right after the exam by the MIS.
According to the confirm source, the authority took the licenses of the
cars and bus drivers at the oil stations in 14th September. The owners were
then told to come the Y.I.T at 1:00pm of 15th Sep, to get back their
licenses. So the Buses and cars were there when the exam finished. The
students were then forced on to those buses and cars and send back.
In 14th Sep, Monday, the MIS arrested four students from the Safeguard of
student rights Committee, All Burma Federation of Student Unions.
Presently, the students have made "hit and run movements" and "small
demonstrations" at the Basic High Schools. The Basic High School Students
say they will continue the movements for the educational rights, student
rights, coordinating with the University students, regardless of whether
the authorities closed the university and arrest the student activists.

Foreign Affairs' Committee
All Burma Federation of Student Unions.