The BurmaNet News: September 17, 19

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
 "Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: September 17, 1998
Issue #1098

Noted in Passing: "We again reiterate that as members of the armed forces
we will revert to our primary duty of defending the country for the
security of the nation and the rule of law after the transfer of power to a
government comprising the people's representatives who you will elect in
free and fair elections." - SLORC Defence Services Chief of Staff,
September, 1988 (see NLD: STATEMENT NO.52 (8/98) )

(Correction from Issue #1096, September 15, 1998:  in the article titled,
INTERNATIONAL FINANCING REVIEW: DKB LOAN MAY LEAD TO US SANCTIONS, the
editor's note incorrectly stated that Dai-Ichi Kangyo Bank is located in
The Netherlands.  Dai-Ichi Kangyo is a Japanese bank.)

HEADLINES:
==========
AP: MYANMAR OPPOSITION FORMS COMMITTEE
NLD: STATEMENT NO. 52 (8/98)
MIT: A NLD MEMBER RETURNS HOME
BKK POST: KARENS FLEE RAIDS BY JUNTA UNITS
MIZZIMA: FIGHTING IN ARAKAN STATE
BKK POST: PROSPECTS POOR FOR BURMESE GAS
BKK POST: TOURISM WARES PUT ON SHOW
ANNOUNCEMENT: TOURISM CONCERN

ASSOCIATED PRESS: MYANMAR OPPOSITION FORMS COMMITTEE

YANGON, Myanmar (AP) - Aung San Suu Kyi and nine members of her
pro-democracy party have formed a committee representing the arrested
lawmakers of an outlawed parliament, the party said today.

The move appeared to be an attempt to hold a session of the 459-member
parliament that was elected in 1990 but never allowed to convene.

Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy won 82 percent of the seats, but
the military has refused to recognize the result of that election and has
warned the NLD leadership that attempting to convene parliament is illegal.

A party leader contacted by telephone would not comment on whether that was
the intention of the 10 members.

To prevent the party from convening the assembly, the military has arrested
783 opposition members, including 194 elected representatives.

The new committee claimed it had the mandate of the arrested lawmakers, and
had adopted several resolutions in their names.

Neither Suu Kyi, the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize winner, nor party vice chairman
Tin Oo ran in the 1990 elections because they were under arrest by the
military government for their pro-democracy activities.

The government said today it had released one of the party members,
85-year-old Thakin Khin Nyunt.

Gen. Than Shwe, the leader of the government, called Suu Kyi and her
colleagues traitors in comments published in today's state-run New Light of
Myanmar newspaper.

``The internal traitors with pessimistic views are paving the way for
neocolonialists to interfere in our internal affairs,'' Than Shwe said.

Myanmar, also known as Burma, was once a British colony. The country was
isolated by its military government from 1962-88, and its leaders still
view the outside world with suspicion.

NLD: STATEMENT NO. 52 (8/98)
11 September, 1998 from <nldburma@xxxxxxxxxxx>

[Unofficial Translation]

National League for Democracy
No: (97/b) West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

Statement No: 52 (8/98)

1. The State Law and Order Restoration Council, now succeeded by the State
Peace and Development Council, assumed power on 18/9/88. On 23/9/88 the
Defence Services Chief of Staff announced:

	" We have formed a government with a small group of individuals with many
responsibilities to carry out the main functions that have to be performed
by a government and for the continuance of  diplomatic relations so it is
obvious that we have no intention to govern for a long time. We
respectfully make this promise to the monks and the people of the nation
with sincerity and good faith."

Xxxxx

	" We want you to bear in mind that we are sons of the Tatmadaw (army) who
have sworn allegiance to the country and are duty bound to serve the people
and we will not under any circumstances whatsoever break the oath that we
have taken."
	Xxxxxx

	" Because we will be taking charge for a very short period we can not
attend to matters of health, education and social security. These are long
term projects and will be the responsibility of the party that is elected
into office at the multi-party elections."

	Xxxxx

	" We again reiterate that as members of the armed forces we will revert to
our primary duty of defending the country for the security of the nation
and the rule of law after the transfer of power to a government comprising
the people's representatives who you will elect in free and fair elections."

2. Law 4/88 (Political Parties Registration Law) was later promulgated
permitting genuine political activity by multi-parties to contest in the
general election in which the people could indicate their wishes in
selecting their representatives for the purpose of acting on their behalf.

3. In order that a de jure government could be formed , SLORC, the de facto
government promulgated the Peoples Assembly Elections Law 14/98 and Rules
1/89, Peoples Assembly Elections Rules to provide rules relating to the
multi-party elections.

4. In addition, on 27/3/89 the Chief of Staff of the Defence Forces
specifically explained the role of the army and that of the new government
that would govern after the elections. His words were:

	" We anticipate that the new government will do its utmost to develop the
economy of the country as a matter of priority. As for us, the members of
the defence services, we will return to our barracks and our former tasks.
Our most important duty is to see that the Union does not disintegrate, and
to preserve and strengthen the sovereignty of the nation."

5. In relation to the forming of a de jure government after the elections,
the Chief of Staff made the following statement on 5/7/89.

	" In taking over the powers of the government today, I will not be doing
just anything that pleases me. I will act in conformity with the
regulations and will make a submission to the parliament when it is
created.  xxxxxx. I will transfer power according to law. Transfer to the
majority government. I consent. Do you want to draw up a new constitution ?
We will say, yes. U Nu, the ex prime minister, made a statement at a press
conference about the number of parliamentarians etc. Yes, It is correct
that power must be transferred if a certain number of seats are obtained.
We have nothing against that. If you can form a group, do so. We have to
transfer power. Which constitution will you take? If there is a nation,
there must be a government. It will have to have a constitution. Which one
will you recognise? Will you make amendments? Other things? There are
matters for the parties to consider. xxxxxxx"

6. Again on 9.1.90 , the Chief of Staff made the following statement in
reference to the elections and the new government  that would be formed.

	"We have repeatedly said that in relation to the governing power, you can
have it back after the elections in accordance with law. To make it
possible for such a government we will be holding elections. This is our
responsibility. According to law we will not be responsible for forming a
government after that. This is an undertaking that I make openly and
without any reservations."

	xxxxxxxx

	"A civilian government is only months away. There is no other way for a
civilian government to come into being except through elections. Only a
government formed through the process will be representative of the
majority of the people to fulfil their true and genuine desire."

	xxxxx

Statement made by the Chief of Staff on 27/3/90 with reference to a de jure
 government are reproduced below-

	"xxxx  To build up a democratic system, the only path is through
elections. I want to emphasize this point especially to the political
parties. Xxxxx"

	xxxxxxx

	"The important things is that in this elections all of you can freely
choose individuals who are truly honest with a vision for the future good
for the entire country. Only then a stable government will eventuate. Xxxxxx"

	"Some people may say that the principal point is not the elections, but
the constitution and that power should be transferred to a temporary
government while a new constitution is drawn up. As far as this is
concerned do as you please. The tatmadaw's only promise is that we will
hold elections. Xxxx"

7. The above events, statement and promises made to the people cannot be
denied. This is historical and true evidence. People were led to believe
and rely on them. Ninety three parties were formed and 2296 individual
offered themselves as candidates in the elections. The people cast their
votes for candidates from these parties and independent candidates also.
>From the 485 constituencies, the National League for Democracy gained 392
seats. The people of Burma and the entire world recognised that the
elections were free and fair.

8. The United Nations General Assembly and the United Nations Human Rights
Commission have passed resolution noting that the results of those
elections have not been implemented . Those resolutions were unanimous
decisions made by all the member countries. Burma is a member country and
should adhere to such resolutions. Ignoring them brings shame and disgrace
to the country.

9. After the elections, the Chief of Staff made this statement on 3/7/90
with reference to the constitution.

	"xxxxxx  What is to be done after the elections? A constitution must be
written. This matter has been clarified by me on 5/7/89. SLORC will not
write the constitution. We have said this. We can not take the position of
an accused    xxxx"

	" xxxxx It's a matter for the elected representatives of the people to
write the constitution xxxxxxxx"

10.	Secretary(1) of the State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) ,
now known as State Peace and Development Council made the following
statement at the 104th press conference.

	"xxxx  SLORC will not draw up the constitution. It is the duty of the
peoples representatives to do that. We have made our position clear on this
issue. Now, those people who have been elected from the various political
parties and the representatives from the states and the prominent political
party must give priority and attend to this matter."

11. From the above statements it is very clear that the Peoples Assembly
that is created after the elections has the duty and the right to not only
write the constitution, but also to take on the three main branches of the
government which are the Legislature, the Executive and the Judiciary.
Secretary (1) also made the following statement at the 104th press conference.

	"The very fact that we have successfully conducted free and fair elections
as originally planned goes to show that we have no intention of clinging to
power. If we had the intention not to transfer power the elections would
never have been held." xxxxxxxxxxx

	"Accusations that we do not intend to transfer power and that we cling to
it till the end of time are still being made. If we wanted to cling to
power till the end of time it was not necessary for us to exert all our
energy in holding elections as we have done. You should understand that
from the very start we had the desire to return power to the people."

12. Authorised publications in the newspapers about the convening of
parliament and the duties of parliament are reproduced below;

	"xxxxx  When the next government is formed, the position of political
parties and matters relating to the election will be as decided by the
government. xxxxx"

	xxxxxxxxxxxx

	"xxxxx  The State Law and Order  Restoration Council has no intention of
giving any directions regarding the process of writing a constitution. That
will be the task of the peoples representatives to decide in parliament."

	xxxxxxxxxxxx

13. Under the heading "Noble Intentions " was a passage that appeared in
the papers.

	"The State Law and Order Council had no alternative but to take control
and assume the sovereign power that belongs to the people because of its
first concern for the preservation of the union, the peoples living
standards and their security.  It wants to return this sovereign power to
the people as soon as it possibly can."

14.	The reason for relating what the authorities said and the laws and
orders that were promulgated and the promises that were made is because the
above were the actions and statements of those responsible persons who
seized power. The State Peace and Development Council (SPDC) have stepped
into the shoes of the SLORC and they are absolutely bound by what was said
and done by their predecessors. If they now cancel or rescind their
promises and obligations they will be placing the blackest spot in Burma's
history that can never be obliterated. They will have no credibility.

15. Therefore the National League for Democracy has repeatedly asked the
authorities to convene parliament in accordance with the Section 3 of the
Peoples Assembly Law because it wants to maintain a good record in Burma's
history.

16. But there has been no response whatsoever by the authorities. Now we
intend to convene the Peoples Assembly soon (comprising the elected
representatives of the people and states) in accordance with the provisions
of the Peoples Assembly Law and for the maintenance of the rule of law. The
primary task of the Peoples Assembly is to make laws for the benefit of the
people. Only by Acts of Parliament can laws and matters relating to the
Executive, the Legislature and the Judiciary have the force of law.

17. After holding free and fair elections the de facto government has
continued for a long period of time to govern and is therefore faced with
grave problems in the political, economic and social spheres. Today we are
faced with a crisis that will shape the country's future. These problems
cannot be solved by abuse of power, arrest and imprisonment of members of
political organisations and elected representatives of the people.

18. The time has come for the people's representatives to make decisions in
accordance with the wishes of the people for the nation in its present
predicament and for its future. This can not be avoided. If we turn away
from this responsibility there can be very grave consequences. Therefore,
the individuals who have been empowered by the people in the free and fair
elections that were held have the right to convene in accordance with the
provisions of Section 3 of the Peoples Assembly Law. This is why we made it
known to all that all elected representatives of the people and the states
will convene and form the Peoples Assembly.

Central Executive Committee
National League for Democracy
Rangoon

MYANMAR INFORMATION SHEET: A NLD MEMBER RETURNS HOME

[Information Sheets issued under the email addresses MYANPERSP@xxxxxxx and
OKKAR66129@xxxxxxx match those issued by the Directorate of Defence
Services Intelligence (DDSI) in Rangoon, and can be assumed to reflect
official SPDC opinion.]

YANGON
INFORMATION SHEET N0.A-0609(I)
SPECIAL FEATURE

A NLD Member Returns Home

A senior member of the National League for Democracy Thakin Khin Nyunt
returned to his residence on 14 September, after a brief stay at a
Government guest house. Thakin Khin Nyunt  is (85) years old,  back with
his family and is in good health. Similarly, at the invitation of the
Government some other NLD members have been staying at Government
guesthouses since September 6. They are being comfortably housed, well fed,
and treated with courtesy and respect. The Government has no wish to house
them for any longer than necessary, and regrets the inconvenience to those
involved. It is hoped that, with the cooperation and goodwill of the NLD
leadership, the rest of the NLD members will soon be home.

These invitations have raised criticism from some outside observers, a
spokesman for one foreign government said on September 8 that  " Arbitrary
detentions are unjustifiable and will only worsen rather than solve the
political crisis."

Apparently there is some misunderstanding of the situation in Myanmar. Like
any government anywhere in the world, the Government of Myanmar has a
fundamental obligation to protect the right of all its citizens to a safe,
secure and stable environment.

Only ten years ago, Myanmar experienced first-hand the tragedies that
resulted from a genuine political crisis. She went through months of riots,
looting, social anarchy and even mob executions before safety was restored.
It was an experience no one in Myanmar wants to go through again.

As we look at other countries around the world, we can still see many of
these horrors today. Tragically, political change and social unrest in some
new democracies in recent months have resulted in rioting, looting, violent
death and even civil war.

The Government of Myanmar therefore takes the issue of " Political Crisis"
very seriously as it moves towards its goal of a stable and multiparty
democracy. If the basic peace and stability the country has achieved are
lost, the ground work for democracy may be lost. If riots and social chaos
break out, then the Government will have to fail in its primary
responsibility, which is to protect its citizens from harm and to maintain
national security.

The Government views with grave concern the expressed intention of the NLD
to convene a People's Parliament before the country has had time to
complete a National Constitution which will ensure political stability.
Without a constitution, the Parliament would be unable to govern
effectively. That, the government fears, would lead not to a stable
democracy, but to institutional confusion, social chaos and genuine
political crisis.

And if political crisis leads to crisis in national security, then
Myanmar's very existence is in danger of splitting into a number of
Mini-states.

Therefore the Government urges all political parties including the NLD, to
responsibly cooperate to establish the social and economic foundation for a
stable democracy. As the country's stability and prosperity grow, economic
opportunities will grow and her political system will be able to develop.

THE BANGKOK POST: KARENS FLEE RAIDS BY BURMESE JUNTA UNITS
16 September, 1998 by Supamart Kasem in Tak

VILLAGERS KILLED, HOUSES TORCHED

More than 1,200 Karens have fled attacks by Burmese troops on their border
village in Burma into Tha Song Yang district since early this month,
according to a border official.

Some 300 families of Karens living in Wa Mae Kala village opposite Tha Song
Yang district of Tak have crossed the Moei River into Thailand after some
150 Burmese soldiers attached to the 44th Infantry Division entered their
village and torched all houses there on September 6.

Three Karen villagers including a pregnant woman were reportedly killed in
the fire.

According to the, source, these Burmese troops had forced some Karens to
carry war weapons and food supplies for them during their operations
against the Karen National Union.

Tha Song Yang district chief Veera Phosuk said 859 of all Karen refugees
are now in temporary shelters at Ban Tinohkho of tambon Mae Ou Su and the
415 others are in Ban Nong Bua.

Almost 100 members of Thai security forces had already been deployed to
ensure safety for the Karens, he added.

According to him, staff of the Burma Border Consortium, the Medicine Sans
Frontiers and the Karen Refugee Committee had distributed food, medicines,
clothes and kitchen-ware to the refugees two days earlier.

Tak Governor Huekharn Tomornsak who led concerned officials to inspect the
Karens' temporary shelters yesterday said all the Karens will be sent back
home when the situation in their hometown returns to normal.

MIZZIMA NEWS GROUP: FIGHTING IN ARAKAN STATE
15 September, 1998 from <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

There has been sporadic fighting between the Burmese army and armed Arakan
ethnic groups in Arakan State in the last three months. According to the
sources inside Arakan State, the last armed clash between Burmese army and
Arakan Army (AA) broke out three weeks ago. The Arakan Army is an armed
wing of National United Party of Arakan (NUPA), one of the armed Arakan
ethnic groups still fighting against the military regime in Burma. The
fighting between a group of 35 soldiers from (Light Infantary Battalion No.
34 of) the Burmese Army based in Kyauk Phyu township and 40 soldiers of the
Arakan Army broke out on 24th August 1998. The battle took place near Shwe
Hlaing Bwii village in Palak Wa township of Arakan State. The fighting
lasted for about 45 minutes. According to Arakan Army sources, 5 soldiers
from the Burmese army were killed and two were injured, but this is not
confirmed by the military government.

MIZZIMA News Group
1944, Outran Line,
Kingsway Camp,
Delhi -9
Tel/Fax : 0091-11-711 5491

THE BANGKOK POST: PROSPECTS POOR FOR BURMESE GAS
16 September, 1998 by Boonsong Kositchotethana

INCENTIVE TO EXPLORE DISAPPEARS AS ASIAN ENERGY DEMAND FALLS

With its energy demand declining, Thailand will have no appetite for the
next several years to buy additional natural gas from Burma beyond what it
has already committed, according to energy analysts.

Thailand appears to be the sole outlet in the region for any future Burmese
gas discoveries, but the slump in Asia has forced energy suppliers to cut
back demand projections.

There is significant gas potential in Burma's Gulf of Martaban, but
companies are reluctant to further explore offshore areas there. The two
big players -- the operators of the Yadana and Yetagun gas fields -- have
the market sewn up, said an analyst with an international energy consultancy.

Neighbouring Bangladesh also has large gas reserves. "So if anyone did find
gas offshore from Burma, I don't know what they would do with it. They
would have to sit on it," added the analyst, who asked not to be named.

That appears to be part of the reason Atlantic Richfield (Arco) opted not
to renew the exploration lease for two blocks in the Gulf of Martaban
though their potential was relatively good, another analyst in Bangkok noted.

Yadana, Burma's largest known gas field in the Gulf of Martaban, is in the
trial start-up process. Deliveries were to have started on July 1, but a
delay in completing the Ratchaburi power-station which will consume most of
the gas has pushed the date back until the end of this year.

Under a 30-year contract with the Yadana consortium led by Total of France,
the Petroleum Authority of Thailand (PTT) was committed to gradually raise
its purchases of gas from Yadana, 240 kilometres south of Rangoon, to 525
million cubic feet per day (MMcfd) 15 months after production began on July l.

Gas supplies from Yetagun, 270 kilometres west of Thailand in the Gulf, are
due to flow to Thailand in 2000 with an initial output of 200 MMcfd under a
30-year deal between PTT and the Yetagun consortium.

Analysts suggested that Thailand would not need to enter new contracts for
gas supplies beyond those already planned for the next several years, given
the much slower growth in domestic gas demand.

The only priority gas-supply deal that is expected to be finalised later
this year will be for the fields in the Malaysia-Thailand Joint Development
Area (JDA). A preliminary agreement was signed on April 22.

The basic deal involves 390 MMcfd of gas supply from the Cakerawala gas
field for a 20-year period starting in the first quarter of 2001, and for
250 MMcfd from the Muda and Jengka fields for 16 years starting in the
third quarter of 2002. The JDA gas will be taken by PTT and Malaysia's
Petronas.

Meanwhile, energy consultants Wood Mackenzie of the United Kingdom estimate
that Burma's earnings from the Yadana field will be $2.87 billion in
nominal terms over the expected life of the field to 2030. It estimates
earnings from Yetagun at $823 million through 2025.

The gas earnings will produce a surge in dollar income for a country that
only admitted foreign investors in 1988, after 26 years of isolation.

Burma's main foreign-exchange earnings have traditionally come from crops
such as rice and beans and, to a smaller extent, wood.

Its foreign exchange reserves are estimated at anywhere between $150
million and $350 million.

Yadana's first few years of earnings will be used to pay off the debt that
helped finance Burma's share of the field's $1-billion development costs.

THE BANGKOK POST: TOURISM WARES PUT ON SHOW

AFP

Burma tourism authorities and operators yesterday brushed aside concerns
about human rights and political turmoil in the isolated military-run state
and predicted their had a bright future.

"I see it as a very positive destination," said Detlef Meisslein, general
manager of Rangoon's luxury 356-room Sedona Hotel, during a short break
from his sales pitch at the Travel Show in Bangkok.

Although plainly uncomfortable junta's image as one of the world's most
oppressive regimes, the German said he was sure Burma would emerge as one
of the world's premium travel destinations.

"The perception of Myanmar is a problem," he said. "It will take time, but
once they settle the political situation it is a very positive destination.
It has more potential than Thailand."

The travel show opened on Monday.

International tourist arrivals last year amounted to less than 200,000,
making Burma one of the least visited countries in Southeast Asia.

ANNOUNCEMENT: TOURISM CONCERN
14 September, 1998 from tourconcern@xxxxxxxxxx

Burma: Tourism Concern supports Foreign Office statement urging tour
operators to stay out of Burma

British tour operators going to Burma have been urged by the Foreign and
Commonwealth Office to heed the views of Burma's democratic leader, Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi, not to operate tours to Burma.

Patricia Barnett, Director of Tourism Concern, a pressure group which has
been campaigning on the issue of tourism-related human rights abuses in
Burma for three years, says "Tourism Concern is delighted that such a
strong statement has been made.  Many tourists are very concerned about the
situation in Burma and have already decided not to visit the country.  We
hope that this statement by the Government will encourage British tour
operators to stop operating tours there too until democracy is restored."

In letters to the Chairmen of the Association of British Travel Agents
(ABTA), the Association of Independent Tour Operators (AITO), the
Federation of Tour Operators and Reed Exhibitions Companies (which is
organising this year's World Travel Market to be held in November), Mr
Derek Fatchett, Foreign Affairs Minister, says: "The Government wishes to
draw attention to the views of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, and other
pro-democracy leaders in Burma, that it is inappropriate for tourists to
visit Burma at present.  These leaders believe that foreign tourists
visiting Burma do not help the development of democracy or human rights in
the country.  We urge you to consider some of the arguments they put forward."

The letter then draws attention to the fact that the Burmese junta spends
30 per cent of its total revenue on the army (more than almost any other
country in the world) compared to 3.25 per cent on health; that tourists
who try to take photographs of sensitive subjects such as forced labour
"have often found themselves subject to harassment by the authorities"; and
that human rights abuses such as forced labour and forced relocations have
been associated with tourism development, "...these are basic abuses of
human rights which we believe to be wholly unacceptable," says Mr
Fatchett's letter.

Tourism Concern has been communicating with Derek Fatchett regularly asking
him to make a stronger statement to British tour operators and tourists
regarding Burma.   Operators who have pulled out of Burma as a result of
the debate around the ethics of operating in Burma include Wexas and
Explore Worldwide.  Some operators, including Symbiosis Expeditions,
Himalayan Kingdoms and Nomadic Thoughts have never operated there for
ethical reasons. /more However, over 20 British tour operators still
operate tours to Burma including Voyages Jules Verne, Arbercrombie and
Kent, Noble Caledonia, British Airways Holidays, and Orient Express.  Few
give any indication of the political situation, the suffering that the
Burmese people have endured as a result of tourism development, or the fact
that people can be jailed for the 'crime' of talking to tourists.  Voyages
Jules Verne's latest brochure, for instance, says of the Burmese people:
'Their happiness and serenity radiates from within and this is Burma's
greatest gift to visitors - the opportunity to interact with people.'' (see
Notes to Editors)

While Tourism Concern is pleased that Mr Fatchett's letter has openly
called to question the ethics of such tours, Tourism Concern has heard from
within the tourism industry that it would only be likely to actively
discourage its members if the Government called for a trade embargo on Burma.

Patricia Barnett also points out that more information needs to be given to
tourists.  "Unfortunately, anyone reading the Foreign Office's travel
advice to Burma wouldn't realise their are serious ethical considerations
around visiting Burma or that the Foreign Office has made this statement.
We hope that the FCO will take the next step and explain to tourists in
their advice that the democratically elected Burmese government is asking
people not to go."

Tourism Concern have also been communicating with Mr Fatchett on the issue
of human rights abuses connected to tourism internationally.  Tourism
Concern's recent publication, Tourism and Human Rights documents instances
from around the world where people's rights have been violated, including
loss of land and access to natural resources, and gives Recommendations to
Government.  These include creating clear ministerial responsibility for
outgoing tourism, and drawing up ethical policies on out-going tourism for
British companies and becoming a member of the World Tourism Organisation
in order to be involved in its Global Code of Ethics on Tourism.

Notes to Editors:

1. According to the World Tourism Organisation, 164,654 tourists visited
Burma in 1996.  Official Burmese figures suggest that over 260,000 tourists
visited Burma last year and that foreign investment in the hotel and
tourism sector stood at US$763m out of a total investment of US$6.6 billion
at the end of 1997.

2. Burma has been renamed Myanmar by the Burmese junta (which has recently
changed its name from the State Law and Order Restoration Council to the
State Peace and Development Council).  They have been promoting Burma for
international tourism since the end of 1996.

3. Over 500,000 people have been forcibly relocated in Burma, much of which
is for the beautification of tourist areas. Human Rights Watch Asia
estimates over two million people have been used as forced labour,
including women and children, much of this is on tourism-related
infrastructure such as roads, railways, airports and power plants.  The
International Labour Organisation suggested after the publication of their
report 'Forced Labour in Myanmar (Burma), 2 July 1998 that the junta 'may
be guilty of a crime against humanity' because of the systematic use of
forced labour.

4. Trade sanctions have so far been ruled out by the British Government
although they have been called for by Aung San Suu Kyi and her party the
National League for Democracy.

5. Tourism Concern's web-site has extra information on Burma
(http:/www.gn.apc.org/tourismconcern). ABTA's website has a list of tour
operators with specialist knowledge of Burma (www.abtanet.com).