Headquarters, Mongla
Date:  19 September 1998

	Declaration on the Attitude of the Eastern Shan State Special Region (4)
	  in connection with the Acts of the National League for Democracy Rumours
about the political situation are spreading in the country.  We are worried
about them.  We are particularly worried about the news that Parliament will
be called replacing the drafting of the constitution through the Government's
National Convention.  Hence, the declaration on the attitude of the Eastern
Shan State Special Region (4)   is as follows:

1.	National solidarity disintegrated in our country in the past due to armed
conflicts among the national races.  Considering that disintegration of
national solidarity could harm national independence and sovereignty,
successive governments tried to secure national reconsolidation employing all
possible means.  However, they did not realize the objective for various
reasons.  Now only, national solidarity has been established due to the
Tatmadaw Government's efforts.  Peace has also been restored.  As much as
peace has been restored progress is made in economy, transport and
communications and education in the border areas where different national
races reside.  Their standard of living has also improved.  The Tatmadaw
government and we, the national races, have not made peace easily.  We have
achieved it only after confronting hitches and overcoming numerous
difficulties.

2.	The National League for Democracy is reported to be organizing to convene
the Parliament.  This act can create misunderstanding between the Tatmadaw
Government and nationalities groups and undermine the peace which they have
achieved out of much difficulty.  Moreover, it can destabilize the nation and
then cause disintegration of the Union.  Our organization will not support in
any way the acts of that party.

3.	Our organization believes that the Tatmadaw Government has already
established national solidarity and at present it is heading for the
discipline flourishing democracy.  We also believe that in so doing it is
following the correct path.  So, our organization declares that it will
continue to cooperate only with the Tatmadaw Government.

Sai Lin
Military Local Administration Committee
Eastern Shan State Special Region (4)
Union of Myanmar