Declaration on attitude of Phado Au

Subject : Declaration on attitude of Phado Aung San's peace group inconnection
with 		  acts of National League for Democracy

Date: 19 September 1998

1. National League for Democracy (NLD) issued Declaration No 58 (9/98) dated
16 September 1998.

2. In the 10th para of that declaration, it is found that the State Council
delegating the representatives elected in the 1990 Multiparty Democracy
General Election had been formed with 10 members including Chairman U Aung
Shwe of the National League for Democracy. After that declaration had been
issued, the foreign radio broadcasts said that the nationalities groups
supported the declaration of the National League for Democracy (NLD).

3. The National League for Democracy's formation of "State Council delegating
representatives-elect" is just a meaningless action. Only the government is
authorized to convene a Hluttaw, and it has never been found in any country
such a thing that a Hluttaw could be convened with the permission of and on
behalf of the Hluttaw representatives. It was an unlawful act.

4. Today, because of the government's concerted endeavours, allround
developments, in political, social and economic sectors have been made. NLD is
doing all possible things to disrupt the government's endeavours. The peace
group led by Phado Aung San who exchanged arms for peace in Nyeinchanyay
Ywathit, Phayagon, Hpaan, has never supported NLD's declaration, since it was
unlawful, destructive and traitorous act which would lead to destruction of
the country, and it might also cause disintegration of the Union, the act of
the axe-handles in accord with the neocolonialists.

5. Only the Tatmadaw government could build peace in order to consolidate
national unity and develop the living standard of the nationals, and is
marching towards the desired goal of a new, modern and developed nation. We,
our group, announce that we fully support the Tatmadaw government which is
making endeavours, leading the nation on the right.

Sd- Phado Aung San
Leader
The peace group which exchanged a ms for peace
At Nyeinchanyay Ywathit (Phayagon)
Hpa-an