Buddhism Info: for recipients of Bu (r)

RELIGIOUS EXPLOITATION    ???
*************************

 It is hard to measure to what extent one's religion affects one's life. For some Atheists the
effect is almost none existent. Burma has always been one of the few countries where religion
is faithfully followed.

Whenever I hear someone commenting on that, I have mixed reactions towards it. On one hand, it
seems like it is a good thing to have. Religion is one of the pillars of society and a true
source of authority that people refers to whenever they are making any important decisions et
cetera. Authority is essential to avoid anarchy.

Well, here it seems that this fact benefits only some people(SLORC /SPDC?). Probably, that was
the reason they've been donating so much to the Burmese Monasteries in Europe ?
Abusing " Buddhism" and using it as a vehicle for their propaganda.
Buddhism always preach one to be content with one's life. It is called fatalism in its extreme
when people are resigned to accept the situations in their life (or fate)no matter how bad it
is.

A government official explained away forced labour as a volunteer activity, "They were doing it
to to have 'KuuTho' so that they will have a better afterlife."   They would say " rape " as
producing human lifes , which is hard to get according to Buddhism . Even 'ignorant' foreigners
would know better to believe this lie.
The corrupted and liar military regime has twisted this virtuous behavior of being content with
one's life to their own ends.

How could the 8-8-88 situation have arisen without the Burmese people voicing out their desires
and exposing atrocities. Where would we be if Sayadaw U Wizara hasn't put on hunger strike?
It is time we stop and analyze whether we are being exploited by someone using our religious
beliefs.

I think Burmese people are smart enough not to let such people continue to use our religion
against us.

Khin Saw Win ( Dr )
Burma Watch International
" A society for Human Rights "