Real NMSP' statement on NLD

Dear Burmanet readers

I was supprised when I saw Okkar posted NMSP's attitude on NLD. As I
mentioned on Burmanet before, Okkar would post FAKE NMSP's statement
regarding People
Parliement. The following is the real NMSP statement which I received MNSP
Headquarters in Thai-Burma border couple weeks ago. It is a
real NMSP attitude on NLD. As all of you know, NMSP has been threatened
by military regime after NMSP issued the following statement.  Military
regime forces NMSP to issue another statement that  against People
Parliement. The one
Okkar posts on Burmanent is written by military regime.

Truly yours,

Pon Nya Mon
Monland Restoration Council (HQ)
USA
Tel/Fax: 219-471-3961

(Unofficial Translation)

The New Mon State Party's Opinion
on the Current Political Situation in Burma

1. At the moment, the National League for Democracy (NLD) has struggled
politically for a political reform in Burma.

- The people in the whole country demand for fundamental democratic rights.
- All ethnic nationalities in Burma demand for ethnic rights to greater
self-autonomy.

These two demands are the main causes of root political problem of our
country in the current situation.   It is a normal case that we must face
continued unrest and unstable situation in the country during we could not
solve or settle these problems.   Therefore, the current NLD struggle with
high momentum occurs because of the political problem.   And this is the
result of the current continued political problem.

2. NLD won a landslide victory in 1990 general elections in Burma and it
was only party, which had the most numbers of MP.   Other parties also have
some numbers of MP.  The elections were officially held by the military
government and were also recognized as free and fair elections by
international community.   Therefore, we should honor the results of the
elections.

On the other hand, most armed ethnic oppositions also have expected peace
and development in the country, and accepted ceasefire agreement with
military government.   However, they were never accepted to solve their
political problem honorably and systematically until the current time.
This is another problems to be solved.

Without settling the above mentioned root problems, the various political
contradiction and relative problems will occur any time.

3. We believe that the political problems must be solved by means of
politics.   We also believe that all political deadlocks of democratic and
ethnic problems must be solved peacefully by means of dialogue.   In
addition, the current political situation in Burma also demands for a
political dialogue.   This is the best and only way to solve the political
problems in our country peacefully.   Therefore, we, the New Mon State
Party, sincerely call the military government to arrange for an initiative
of political dialogue, if it really wants to create a discipline democratic
Burma.

Date: August 18, 1998

Central Executive Committee
The New Mon State Party