The BurmaNet News: October 8, 1998 (r)

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
 "Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: October 9, 1998
Issue #1114

HEADLINES:
==========
AI: ARREST OF 54 PEOPLE INCREASES DEEP DIVISIONS
AFP: MYANMAR WARNS OF SOCIAL BREAKDOWN
ABSDF: CEASE-FIRE GROUP LEADER ATTACKED
THE PIONEER (INDIA): THE STRUGGLE MUST GO ON
REUTERS: MYANMAR GUARDS KILL TWO BANGLADESHIS
BBC: BURMA REFUGEES REPORT
REUTERS: ESTRADA URGES ASEAN TO DISCUSS PROBLEMS
ANNOUNCEMENT: LORENO NATALI PRIZE APPLICATION

AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL: ARREST OF 54 PEOPLE INCREASES DEEP DIVISIONS

News Service 194/98
AI INDEX: ASA 16/27/98

Arrest of 54 people increases deep divisions in Myanmar's society

The arrest of 54 people-revealed in a statement made today by Myanmar's
military authorities claiming that the peaceful opposition is involved in a
conspiracy to overthrow the government is outrageous and will do nothing to
heal the wounds caused by 10 years of terrible human rights violations,
Amnesty International said today.

It is appalling that the State Peace and Development Council, SPDC, has
made these tendentious claims against the peaceful opposition party, the
National League for Democracy (NLD), meanwhile arbitrarily arresting dozens
of people who are probably prisoners of conscience, the organization said.
The NLD has always called for peaceful political change and dialogue with
the military.

The SPDC issued a 15-page statement, providing details of people involved
in a plot to incite unrest.  However after reading the document Amnesty
International can find no evidence that any of those named engaged in
anything other than peaceful civil disobedience in Myanmar.

Amnesty International calls on the SPDC to release these people immediately
unless they are tried fairly for recognizable criminal offences.  The
organization is further concerned that the 54 are at risk of torture, which
is common in Myanmar's detention centres.  Political prisoners held in
Military Intelligence centres are often interrogated, severely beaten, and
deprived of sleep and food.

AFP: MYANMAR WARNS OF SOCIAL BREAKDOWN

BANGKOK, Oct 8 (AFP) - Myanmar is concerned about the potential for social
breakdown and rioting as the Asian economic crisis hits home and political
tensions between the junta and opposition groups mount, an official said.

"Tragically, political change and social unrest in some new democracies in
recent months have resulted in rioting, looting, violent death and even
civil war," junta spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Hla Min said in a statement
received here Thursday.

"The government of Myanmar therefore takes the issue of 'political crisis'
very seriously as we move toward our goal of a stable, multi-party democracy."

Hla Min was speaking in Yangon on Wednesday, when the junta announced the
arrest of 54 people, including 23 from the National League for Democracy
(NLD) opposition party, in connection with an alleged plot to "incite
anarchy."

He said democracy was "achievable" in Myanmar, citing recent cease-fire
agreements with ethnic rebel groups, efforts to liberalise the economy and
the country's entry into the Association of Southeast Asian Nations last year.

"Nevertheless, the Asian economic crisis is straining political systems in
many countries. If we lose the basic peace and stability we have achieved,
the groundwork for democracy may be lost," Hla Min said.

[ ... ]

ABSDF: CEASE-FIRE GROUP LEADER ATTACKED FOR SECOND TIME
7 October,1998 from <lurie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The house of the leader of a cease-fire group in northern Burma was
attacked for the second time in two months by an-unknown organisation,
according to sources on the China-Burma border.

On the evening of September 29, three armed attackers arrived at the house
of Monsala, the leader of the Monkoo Defense Army (MDA), also known as the
Northern Shan State Special Region (1). The gunmen opened fired on the lone
guard at the gate, and after killing him they entered the house and began
shooting indiscriminately.

Monsala hid in the corner of a room in the house throughout the attack and
escaped unhurt. This is the second such attack that he has survived.

The first attack occurred on August 22, when four  Chinese-made
hand-grenades were thrown into the premises of the Monkoo leader's house.
Only one grenade exploded, and no one was injured during the bombing,
although a four-wheel drive vehicle parked in the compound was destroyed.

According to sources from the northern border, the attacks may have been
triggered by business disputes between rival groups, as the Monkoo region
produces a great deal of  drugs and the MDA is known to have been heavily
involved in the trade.

Tensions between Monsala and Chinese authorities arose last year after the
Monkoo leader reportedly hid two well-known drug traffickers wanted by
Chinese authorities in his region. Chinese authorities temporarily banned
Monsala from entering China after this incident.

The Burmese Army and the MDA jointly administer Monkoo. The area is well
known for its border trade route between Burma and China. Monkoo held the
former headquarters of the Burma Communist Party, and became the stronghold
of the MDA after the Kokang group entered into a cease-fire agreement with
the Burmese military junta in March 1996.

All Burma Students' Democratic Front
For more information please contact 01-253 9082, 01-654 4984

THE PIONEER (INDIA): THE STRUGGLE MUST GO ON
28 September, 1998 by Dr. Tint Shwe

As an elected member of Parliament from Burma, I appeal to the world
largest democracy, India, to support the legitimate call of Aung San Suu
Kyi who spoke to Radio Free Asia and Democratic Voice of Burma on September
17, 1998. She made an impassioned appeal to the following effect.

The National League for Democracy and elected representatives from four
different nationalists parties* held a meeting on September 16. A committee
representing the People's Parliament elected by the 1990 multi-party
general election was formed at the meeting. This was because the
authorities had detained elected representatives to prevent them from the
convening the Parliament. Since the elected representatives were detained,
a committee to perform parliamentary duties was formed.

The committee had been given the authority by 251 elected representatives
to work on their behalf. It therefore presents more than 50 percent of all
the representatives elected and, hence, has the right to work on behalf of
the Parliament.

Another decision we made concerns the Tatmadaw (army). It is as follow:

The Tatmadaw is an institution that is essential to the nation. Its
responsibility is to defend the nation, the citizenry and the state
constitution. The modernized Tatmadaw must be trusted, respected and love
by the people, and its sole purpose must be to defend the country.

We are a body that represents the Parliament elected by the majority of the
people. I therefore wish to appeal to all the people, including the members
of Tatmadaw, to support our tasks. I also appeal to all the democratically
elected parliaments of the world to recognize our committee and support the
work we are undertaking.  Burma's problems can be solved only within
democracy.

I appeal to the people who really have Burma's interest at heart to stop
pointing fingers at each other and instead work for the benefit of the
nation. While we continue to do all the work that needs to be done in the
name of the Parliament, I wish to make it very clear that our door for
dialogue will remain open. We have time and again called for dialogue with
the people who do not wish to talk. We do this because we care about the
people.

India will be highly respected if the Lok Sabha [the lower house of Indian
Parliament] can recognize the Committee Representing the Parliament. The
Committee elected U Saw Mra Aung as the speaker of the house. Aung San Suu
Kyi is a member of the Committee and was conferred the Nehru Award for
International Understanding 1993.

Dr Tint Swe
Member of Parliament (NLD)
New Delhi

*"Nationalists parties" was added by The Pioneer editor and is not the
author's original phrase.

REUTERS: MYANMAR GUARDS KILL TWO BANGLADESHIS

COX'S BAZAR, Bangladesh, Oct 8 (Reuters) - Two Bangladeshi fishermen were
killed, one was wounded and another is missing after Myanmar border guards
fired on them near St Martin's island in the Bay of Bengal, police said on
Thursday.

They said a boat carrying nine fishermen came under attack on Wednesday
while the crew were fishing near the island in Bangladesh's territorial
waters.

The Bangladesh Rifles (frontier force) have been informed of the incident
by the survivors, a police officer in Teknaf said.

The Bangladeshi town of Teknaf is along the Naf river, which forms part of
the southern border between Bangladesh and Myanmar. St Martin's island is
to the south of Teknaf and is near the boundary that marks Myanmar's
territorial waters.

``The Rifles commander in Teknaf has started investigating the incident,''
the police officer said without giving details.

BBC: BURMA REFUGEES REPORT

An international human rights group has criticised Thailand and the United
Nations Commissioner for Refugees for failing to protect Burmese refugees.
In a report, the American-based Human Rights Watch says
a-hundred-and-ten-thousand ethnic minority refugees living on the
Thai-Burmese border are in danger.

There is criticism of Thailand's long-standing refusal to let the UNHCR
into the border camps, and the refugee organisation for not challenging the
Thai policy more strongly.

The UNHCR and Thailand say from next week new measures will be in place to
improve security.

REUTERS: PHILIPPINES ESTRADA URGES ASEAN TO DISCUSS PROBLEMS
7 October, 1998 by Dolly Aglay

MANILA, Oct 7 (Reuters) - Philippine President Joseph Estrada on Wednesday
asked the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) countries to
discuss their problems freely and find solutions to restore the region's
financial health.

Estrada also urged the United States to pour more funds to the
International Monetary Fund, World Bank and the Asian Development Bank to
contain the financial crisis.

"Let us open to one another and freely and candidly exchange views no
matter how controversial the issues are," Estrada said in a speech at the
opening ceremony in Manila of the 30th ASEAN economic ministers meeting.

"Only by being open can we truly appreciate what unites or divides us," he
added. "Only by talking freely and candidly can we rise, build and prosper
together."

ASEAN has had a long-standing policy of non-interference. Controversial
issues such as human rights in Myanmar are either ignored or treated with
circumspection.

The Philippines and Thailand had been pressing for a franker approach to
discussing regional problems following a year-long regional financial
crisis that resulted in rising unemployment and shrinking economies.

Estrada made the appeal just days after saying Filipinos should sympathise
with the plight of sacked former Malaysian Deputy Prime Minister Anwar
Ibrahim, who has been detained by Malaysian police for alleged corruption
and sodomy. Anwar denies all accusations.

But Estrada, who considers Anwar a personal friend, did not mention Anwar
or Malaysia in his speech.

Estrada also asked the United States to pour more resources into helping
countries severely affected by the economic upheaval.

"It is now clear that the resources of these institutions, particularly the
IMF, are frighteningly insufficient," he said.

"It is our hope that the countries which are in a position to do so,
especially the United States, will soon make available their share in the
capitalisation of the IMF and lend support for increasing funds of the
World Bank and the Asian Development Bank."

ASEAN countries, on their own, must also continue to take appropriate
measures to put their houses back in order, Estrada said.

"Let us resolve to work together to restore financial stability by
reforming and strengthening our respective banking systems," he said.

Estrada said ASEAN countries must also maintain internationally viable
foreign exchange rates.

"We in ASEAN acknowledge that the crisis has triggered protectionist
reactions -- as a result of the shifts in trade and investments flows,
industrial production and employment," he said.

"The best way to resist such pressure will be an undertaking by all of us
to maintain if not accelerate altogether the level of free market access
while pursuing further sectoral liberalisation so that the flow of
resources and investments will energise the recovery process," Estrada added.

ASEAN groups Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines,
Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar and Brunei.

ANNOUNCEMENT: LORENO NATALI PRIZE APPLICATION
8 October, 1998 from <nataliprize@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The 1998 Lorenzo Natali Prize for Journalism

In memory of the late Vice-President of the Commission of the European
Communities with special responsibility for development, the Commission
will be awarding the Lorenzo Natali Prize for Journalism.

----------

Development and Human Rights: A Prize Choice for Journalists

Democracy and Human Rights go hand in hand but sometimes they are brushed
aside in the drive for economic development.

In the modern era development can only succeed if freedom and individual
rights are promoted and defended.

But is the message getting through?

Journalists have the opportunity to raise the debate through the Lorenzo
Natali Prize, a unique competition organised by the countries of the
European Union, to promote reporting which recognises human rights and
democracy as vital elements in the quest for equitable development.

FILL IN THE APPLICATION FORM
----------

The 1998 Lorenzo Natali Prize for Journalists:
Rules of the Competition
----------

1. Applications are invited from individual journalists who are working in
the print media to submit written articles that address democracy or human
rights as vital aspects of development.

2. An independent jury made up of media, development and human rights
professionals and Commission staff will examine articles and put to the
European Commission a shortlist of three for each of the two Prizes.

3. The Prizes will be awarded by the European Commission on the basis of a
proposal from the jury.

4. The Prize will be awarded for articles from the following two categories:
  a) an article published in a developing country
  b) an article published in a Member State of the European Union

5. A decision may be taken to award no Prize in either, or both, categories

6. Judges will also consider:
  a) the quality of professionalism and journalistic standards applied in
the preparation and dissemination of the item;
  b) the exemplary nature of the item and its impact on and relevance to
public opinion;

7. Entries must be for items which have been published or transmitted in
general information media between the dates of 1st January 1997 to 31st
March 1998. Entries must be submitted written in an official language of
the European Union or with an adequate translation from the original into
one of these languages.

8. The Prize winners will receive a sum of 10,000 ECU each.

9. The European Commission will be given the right to reproduce and
disseminate the work submitted in its publications and in publicity
material for the Natali Prize.

10. The Prize will be awarded by 30 November 1998.

11. Each entry must be made with the written consent of the author.

12. The latest date for receipt of entries is 15 October 1998.

13. Articles written by current members of staff of the Community
institutions will not be considered for the Natali Prize.

14. The decision of the judges shall be final.

15. The jury may in special cases, decide to award the Prize to a
journalist, publication or communication medium distinguished by  a special
effort to defend human rights and democracy in  developing countries.
----------

The 1998 Lorenzo Natali Prize for Journalists:
APPLICATION FORM
----------

NAME OF APPLICANT:
MEDIA ORGANISATION:
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE ENTRY AND ITS IMPACT:
DATE OF PUBLICATION (PERIOD: 1/1/97 - 31/3/98)
HOME ADDRESS OF APPLICANT:
HOME TELEPHONE:
HOME TELEFAX:
PERSONAL E-MAIL:
OFFICE ADDRESS OF MEDIA ORGANISATION* :
PHONE:
TELEFAX:
E-MAIL:
SIGNATURE OF APPLICANT:
DATE:

SUBMISSIONS TO ARRIVE NO LATER THAN: 15 OCTOBER 1998

* - PLEASE ATTACH ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
OF THE APPLICANT AND THE RANGE AND NATURE OF THE PUBLICATION CONCERNED.

A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL ARTICLE MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH THIS APPLICATION FORM.
SEND YOUR APPLICATIONS TO EITHER:

THE DELEGATION OFFICE OF THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION IN YOUR COUNTRY IF YOU
RESIDE OUTSIDE OF THE EUROPEAN UNION
http://europa.eu.int/comm/dg1a/site/contacts/delegations.htm

OR:

THE LORENZO NATALI PRIZE
EUROPEAN COMMISSION
DIRECTORATE GENERAL FOR DEVELOPMENT
200 RUE DE LA LOI
B-1049 BRUSSELS
BELGIUM

OR:

FAX YOUR APPLICATION TO THE IFJ SECRETARIAT.
INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF JOURNALISTS:
CONTACT: ANDREW CLARK OR BETTINA PETERS
TELEPHONE: + 32 2 223. 22. 65
FAX: + 32 2 219. 29. 76
E-MAIL: nataliprize@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (for information only)

AVAILABLE ON THE WEB AT: http://www.ifj.org/hrights/natali.html,
http://europa.eu.int/comm/dg08/culture/natali_en.htm

FOR CONTACT DETAILS OF EUROPEAN COMMISSION OFFICES WORLDWIDE:
http://europa.eu.int/comm/dg1a/site/contacts/delegations.htm