Statement of the United Mon Patriot

           STATEMENT OF THE UNITED MON PATRIOTIC FORCES (OVERSEAS)

We, the United Mon Patriotic Forces (Overseas), herein reaffirm our
wholehearted support for the Mon Unity League's 18 March 1998 statement, in
which it calls for an immediate tripartite dialogue between the ruling
military regime SLORC/SPDC, the democratic opposition National League for
Democracy led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, and leaders of the ethnic non-Burman
nationalities in the country.

We note at a surprise the New Mon State Party's two recent statements:  Namely
the 18 August 1998 statement whereby NMSP expressed its support for NLD, and
the 29 September 1998 statement whereby it said something contrary to the
earlier one.  At the same time, we appreciate the NMSP leaders' frankness in
their more recent meeting with the Mon Unity League, in which they admitted
that the only 18 August 1998 statement was voluntarily done to express their
genuine wishes, whereas the latter one was done involuntarily and no more than
to appease SLORC/SPDC temporarily.

We strongly condemn SLORC/SPDC for its recent massive crackdown on the NLD and
the ethnic opposition in the country by arresting and detaining hundreds of
elected members of parliament including leaders of the ethnic non-Burman
opposition parties.  We strongly demand that SPDC immediately release all
these political prisoners, including leaders of the Mon National Democratic
Front (MNDF).

We strongly condemn SLORC/SPDC for forcing the people into involuntary
participation in its patronized anti-NLD mass demonstrations.  We strongly
demand that SLORC/SPDC immediately stop such cunning acts.

We strongly condemn SLORC/SPDC for its increased disturbance of the Mon
literacy movements in the country and strongly demand that SLORC/SPDC
recognize and respect linguistic rights of the Mon people.

We encourage the Mon public to stand firmly behind the Mon National
Democratic Front and to remain united with the rest of the ethnic
nationalities in the country in supporting the People's Parliament.

We urge the international community to help solve the political crises,
restore democracy and federal system in our country.

The United Mon Patriotic Forces or UMPF (Overseas) was very recently formed on
consensus with the specific objective to further coordinate and intensify Mon
political opposition against the present racist military dictatorship in
Burma.

Present members of the UMPF include the following groups:

(1) Monland Restoration Council (USA)
(2) Mon Association of Canada (Canada)
(3) Australian Mon Association (Australia)
(4) Overseas Mon Youth Organization (Japan)
(5) Mon Youth Community (Bangkok, Thailand)
(6) Mon Information Service (Bangkok, Thailand)
(7) Overseas Mon National Students' Organization (Bangkok, Thailand)
(8) Overseas Mon Workers' Organization (Thailand)
(9) Human Rights Foundation in Monland
(10) Committee for publicity of the People's Struggle in Monland
(11) Mon Workers' Organization in Malaysia and Singapore
(12) Mon Women Organization
(13) Mon Representatives in Norway and Finland
(14) Mon Literature Promotion Organization (Bangkok, Thailand)
(15) Overseas Mon National Democratic Front (OMNDF)

contact person:

Pon Nya Mon
coordinator
The United Mon Patriotic Forces [UMPF]