Say NO to Child Labour (fwd)

Subject: Say NO to Child Labour

 Dear friend,

 This festive season and for the other festivals to come, we are requesting
 you to be a part of a peoples' movement for children's rights.

    111 million child labourers in India
    1,00,000 children work in the firework and match industries of Sivakasi
    They work from age of 3 onwards
    Wages paid are Rs. 10-15 per day
    They work for 16-18 hours a day

 India has the largest number of working children in the world.
 A high proportion of these work in hazardous industries like
 glass, metal, matches and firecrackers.

 Children leave their homes well before the sun is up, not to go
 to school, but to get to dark, dingy sheds which serve as
 fireworks manufacturing units. As they work there is no
 respite for their sore limbs and burning eyes for if they
 stop there will be deductions from their meagre daily wage.
 As well as the process of making the firecrackers has to be
 continuous. Because even a break of a fraction of a second
 could set the whole factory up in a balze, endangering the
 lives of these little children.

 These statistics motivated the youth volunteers of CRY - Child Relief and You,
 to do something about this seemingly hopeless situation of child
 labourers. Since Diwali is round the corner, we are focusing on a
 CAMPAIGN which aims at:

 * creating awareness on child labour especially the fireworks industry
 * convince children in schools and colleges and people in general not to use
   firecrackers made by children
 * motivate them to work for the rights of underprivileged children

 So we ask YOU to join us in this movement to provide these
 vulnerable children their basic right - to read, write, play
 and have a healthy and happy childhood.

 On October 15, 1998 from 5.30 pm onwards, at Azad Maidan, Mumbai, India
 each one of us who support this Campaign can come and light a 'diya'
 and take a pledge to join this free-a-child movement and become
 freedom fighters for children's rights.

 And for those who cannot make it to this gathering, be part of it by
 lighting a 'diya' wherever you are.

 Send this message to your friends and relatives who will be
 freedom fighters for children's rights

 For details: email us at crymum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 visit the CRY website - www.cry.org - the CRY section-what's new
 ( http://www.cry.org/cry/whatsnew.htm ).