NLD Statement 89 in English

National League for Democracy
No: (97/b) West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

STATEMENT 89 (10/98)

Contents of the letter dated 15 October 1998 from the Chairman of the
National League for Democracy to the Chairman of the State Peace and
Development Council is reproduced below for information.

(f) " Subject- State of health and living conditions of NLD members
arrested and imprisoned.

1. Up to the 13 October 1998, the number of innocent NLD
parliamentarians-elect, members of organising committees from the
states, divisions, townships, villages and wards and other ordinary
members who have been illegally attested and imprisoned for no
justifiable reason are:-

Parliamentarians-elect					203
Members of organising committees and others		776
Total 							976

2. We have received information that these individuals who have been
illegally arrested are being held in various places all over the
country. Some have been sent to the jail in Insein and it is likely that
others will be imprisoned n other jails.
3. We have heard that the authorities are not feeding those other
individuals who have not yet been sent to the jails. They use illegal
means and demand food from private food sellers and sometimes they take
more than the required amount to feed them.
4. These actions are highly improper and should never be performed. The
authorities who have taken into custody innocent individuals for no
legitimate reason are entirely responsible for their food, living
conditions, health and safety. Should they suffer in any way or any harm
come to them the authorities will be held accountable.
5. We therefore ask that all the persons that have been illegally
arrested and imprisoned be immediately and unconditionally released. " (
END)

The Central Executive Committee
National League for Democracy

Rangoon