Information Sheet N0.A-0658 (I)

MYANMAR INFORMATION COMMITTEE
YANGON
Information  Sheet

                                N0.A-0658 (I)             21st  October 1998

(1)		Masses of Rakhine State Pledge to Safeguard Peace, Stability, Development
& Economic Progress

		Over 25,000 people from various strata of life from Rakhine State expressed
their genuine desire to oppose the activities of the National League for
Democracy which is detrimental to National Interest and National Security at a
mass meeting which was held at Danyawady Sports Ground in Sittway on 20
October. Members of Rakhine State Maternal and Child Welfare Association, Red
Cross Brigade, Union Solidarity and Development Association, Auxiliary Fire
Brigade, Nurses Association, Rakhine State Medical Association, Rakhine State
Working Committee for Women's Affairs, Rakhine State Women's Sports
Federation, Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Rakhine State Writers and
Journalists Association, Video Association, Trawler Owners Association,
Rakhine National Literature and Culture Association, Lawyers Association, Slow
Moving Vehicles Association, All Bus Lines Control Committee, Boarding House
Owners Association, shopkeepers and people of Ponnagyun, Kyauktaw, MraukU,
Pauktaw, Rathedaung and Minbya Townships were present. At the meeting speakers
tabled and seconded two motions calling for safeguarding and maintaining
economic development and better conditions of food, clothing and shelter needs
of the people and maintaining and safeguarding stability of the State which
has already been achieved.

(2)		Entrepreneurs to Engage in Agriculture Work on 15,000 Acres of Wetlands
in Taikkyi Township

		There are about 30,000 acres of vacant and virgin land in Yangon Division
and each area stretches about 5,000 acres. About 30,000 acres of vacant and
virgin land are located in the Tetthit, Bawlai and Ainkalaung islands. The
Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation has already supplied the inputs.
Entrepreneurs would be able to carry on work by acquiring the technology of
agricultural experts and utilizing machinery. U Htay Myint of Yuzana
Construction and Managing Director U Zaw Min of Billion Group reported on the
feasibility studies made and agricultural work to be carried out. Vast areas
of vacant and virgin land are located in the three islands in Taikkyi Township
and entrepreneurs would carry out work in 15,000 acres in the area.

(3)		The Work to Implement Salin Dam Begins

		The Secretary-2 of the State Peace and Development Council and party
attended the ceremony to begin implementing of Salin Dam near Shwedwintu
village, 22 miles upstream from Linzin Diversion Dam in Salin Township, Magway
Division on 20 October. Minister for Agriculture and Irrigation formally
initiated the work. Salin Dam will irrigate 33,000 acres including 28,431
acres covered by Linzin Diversion Dam. It will also supply water through
Nwetamei, Thayetchin, Mingala, Myaungthint and Ngamyethnakan feeder canals to
farms. With a watershed area of 397 square-miles, Salin is a 225 feet high and
2,220 feet long earth dam.

(4)		Bidding Jade Sales Fetch over $ 900,000

		The second day of the Mid-year Gems Emporium continued at Myanma Gems
Emporium  from 9 am to 4 pm on 20 October. A total of 31 jade lots valued at
US $ 919,738 were sold under bidding system. Jewellery and jade figurines
worth $ 200,386 were also sold on the same day. Auction and bidding sales of
jade lots continues on 21st October.

Government Welcomes the Cooperation and Goodwill of the Members of NLD
in Maintaining and Safeguarding National Security

		Another ten more members of the National League for Democracy returned  home
during last week after a successful exchange of views with the Government
towards achieving the common goals: to build a stable and functioning
multiparty democracy and to preserve the prevailing peace and secure
environment  that Myanmar enjoys. While the exchange of views between the
Government and other NLD members are continuing in a cordial atmosphere in
Government guest houses, U Tin Hla ( Elected Representative), U Aye Thein
(E.R) U Mya Maung (E.R), U Sai Lone (E.R), U Sai Yi Tip (E.R), U Sai Nom Tip
(E.R) , U Than Maung (E.R), U Chan Aye (E.R),  U Pan Myaing Aye (E.R), and U
Ye Htut (E.R) returned to their respective residences in the past week. The
Government hopes, with the co-operation and goodwill of the NLD leadership,
more of the view-exchanges to conclude in coming weeks, and for more NLD
members to return home.

Special Feature

		This office is presenting the response by a Thai national in Bangkok which
appeared in Internet for your information.
Re:  Open Letter of Ambassador Tin Win, Washington DC.
To Whom This May Interest/Concern
I am one of many who has been very interested in the Burma  issue, as a
citizen of Thailand who cares about Thailand and our largest and most
significant neighbor, in the said order.  I have been interested in the
subject and carefully study and put myself, in the non-governmental capacity
to try to positively and very carefully involve myself in trying to understand
it and do something about it for first the sake of Thailand and for the sake
of humanity since 1977, actively.  I often ask myself why and every time since
I can not answer myself and others who ask the same question, tell myself why
not.  I have to admit that there has never been any activities that I have put
myself into as complicate, as heart breaking and as damaging to myself as the
Burma issue.  But as this note is not meant to discuss about myself and my
activities nor asking myself again why, I would reserve that to a serious
discussion at the later stage.

I have been fortunate to have met Ambassador Tin Win a few years ago.  I have
known of him earlier from my friends in the KIO(Kachin Independence
Organization) and few other ethnic leaders of Shan State since late 80's.
They all tell me that this Burman Soldier is different from the ones they have
dealt with, in fighting and otherwise.

They have put a serious thought to the peace initiatives carried out by this
man which has led to successful stream of peace arrangement in Burma, ethnicly
speaking.  I have been told by my friends in the hill of a plain speaking
Tatmadaw man who came alone to the jungle meetings to negotiate for peace long
before I met him.  What he wrote above from Washington D.C., quite far from
those hills he served, I see it as plain speaking.  The efforts of well
wishers from inside and outside of Burma for a solution in Burma to bring
about the Burma they wish to see has gone away too far. Burma has become an
easy subject for anyone to play with because it does not fight back physically
despite numerous seminars and a visit to Insein occasionally, but for
foreigner, there have not been the later. But to my dismay, it seems to be a
rule that anything that stands between the well wishers and his or her Burma
must be destroyed. I do admire everyones' efforts and participation towards
this complex subject, but having been at the receiving end along with the poor
people of Burma and Thailand I often wonder when and how it is going to stop.
The well wishing and struggle for ones' vision Burma has created International
Buffet Table that is feeding itself. Feeding on negative and destructive
element that put Ghost Busters ll to shame. This beautiful country and another
beautiful nieghbor, Thailand are fed to the this hugh Table. It has brought a
lot of good effect in bringing about better awareness in human right concern
from the leaders in the government in Burma, and one has to admit that the
government has a better focus on how to make peace and a speedier
democratization of the country, no doubt. But the over zealous efforts and
uncompromising approaches of the oppositions and their allies has made it
difficult for ones in authority over this very unstable territories to
positively transform.

I was equally surprised by the position of the Foreign Minister of UK. How far
does he think he wants to go, sail the gunboats up to Mandalay again, do it
right this time? In the process of transition that he wishes to sanction into,
how many has to suffer? My concern first is with the people of Thailand having
to put up with this and the Burmese, God bless their souls.

I know that this note will be inviting troubles for me through the internet
and God knows what, but having read Tin Win's plea, I can not help making this
note to you all to stop and think on how we can address this problem
POSITIVELY. Punches has been traded, all are tired, but the ones in trouble
are the poor Burmese. Think deep and far please. If you want to sincerely wish
to solve this massive problem, if you want to turn this around, do turn
yourselves around first. Sanction will only buy more time for some people who
does not know what to do but it will harden the resolve of the regime and more
people of Burma will rally around them because they are proud people. Madame
Suu Kyi will lose more popularity and will soon run out of her usefulness that
Burma needs. If you think that waiting for or working for an uprising because
people are suffering from the sanction that you create is for noble cause for
democracy you are more crazy than the Junta that you think they are. While
your are sitting in western cities or in exile, passing the harsh sanctions
and get the consolation that you are pushing for a flash point in the most
beautiful, modest and peaceful country remaining in Asia today, waiting for it
to explode and take all the bad guys with them, so the good guys like you can
march in with your bright idea to rebuild the country, you are no different
from Nero. This Grande Experimente should and must stop. Please try again and
again to find a workable solution, not an easy one, since all of you are so
highly educated. If you can not come up with something more positive, please
refrain from this complicated subject, the people has suffered enough. And for
new players, please find some other harder arena like Congo or even Kosovo to
play on your free evening.I know I am asking for trouble expressing my view,
as only your view usualy prevails, but for this time I welcome it.

Xuwicha