Comment of Dr. Win Naing in U.K

Comment of Dr. Win Naing on Myanmar Affairs

The following are the comment of Dr. Win Naing at the conference,
sponsored  by Christian Aid and Burma Action Group(BAG), on the 15th.
October 1998 in Regent's College, London(U.K).

I am Dr. Win Naing, from Japan. I was granted refugee status, by the
Government of Japan in 1992. But, after completing all procedures for
relinquishing refugee status, I returned to my motherland on 19th. Aug.
1998 for a brief stay. I would like to recount to you, the two main
facts which I learned while in Myanmar, from 2oth.August to 19th.
September,1998.

(1)  The position of the Myanmar Government is that the Myanmar people
themselves should solve their internal problems with mutual
understanding, confidence and respect for one another.
(2)  Provided the NLD will relax its present rigid stand and be more
flexible, the present Myanmar Government is fully ready and willing to
work together with the NLD for the good of the country.

A true dialogue should have a moderate and flexible approach. No one can
doubt that good results can be achieved by a true dialogue under the
conditions that two parties are flexible and bear respect and mutual
understanding towards one another.

I would like to express my own opinion to you all that those who are
interested in Myanmar affairs should not only request the Myanmar
Government but also the NLD, to engage in a more moderate and flexible
policy in order to relieve the political tension in Myanmar. ( It takes
two to Tango.)

The " Diary Of My Travels In Myanmar" is available at the desk of this
conference for your further reference. I have recounted to you the
actual conditions that now prevail in the country and my opinion.

I submit the above for your due consideration.

Thank you.
****
                       Dr. Win Naing, Ph.D
     P.O Box 2029, Kita-shinjuku P.O, Shinjuku-ku,Tokyo,169-8691, JAPAN
       171-23,  Akazawa,  Ito-shi,  Shizuoka-ken, 413-0233, JAPAN
       Tel. (+81)-40-850-2738, Fax. (+81)-557-53-3754, E-mail:
win9@xxxxxxxxx
****