On the way to End Violence

Subject: [end-violence] Introducing the Men's Resource Center

Greetings to all.

The Men's Resource Center of Western Massachusetts (MRC) was formed in
1982. Our mission is "to support men and to develop men's leadership in
challenging all forms of oppression in our lives, our families, and our
communities." Our programs support men in overcoming the damaging effects
of rigid and stereotyped masculinity, and simultaneously confront men's
patterns of personal and societal violence and abuse toward women,
children and other men.

Among our programs is Men Overcoming Violence (MOVE), a batterer
intervention program, for men who are violent or abusive in their
families. 60% of our participants are not court-mandated, which reflects
our goal of reaching men outside of the criminal justice system. Our
follow-up groups include men who have been involved with the MOVE program
for many years. We have a speakers' bureau composed of formerly abusive
men and formerly abused women who talk about their experiences with
domestic violence at schools, colleges and community organiztions. We also
offer a variety of partner services including a free group for women
partners of men in the MOVE program.

In our Youth Education Programs we lead workshops and ongoing groups on a
variety of topics including respect and abuse in relationships,
homophobia, rape and sexual assault, and male socialization. Many of our
programs are offered in collaboration with educators from the local
women's center, with whom we have a long-term ally relationship. In fact,
we have been currently working together on a project training high school
and college women and men to be youth leaders for students in local
middle/junior high schools.

We have been providing training and support for the development of "pro-
feminist, male positive" men's programs and organizations around the
United States and internationally. We recognize that men have an important
role to play in ending violence against women.

Steven Botkin
Executive Director
Men's Resource Center of Western Massachusetts
<http://www.mrc-wma.com>