NEWS - Envoy to Report to UN on Mya (r)

Subject: Re: NEWS - Envoy to Report to UN on Myanmar Rights, Democracy

>His trip had been to help U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan
>in the exercise of a General Assembly mandate "to encourage
>authorities in Myanmar to address concerns in the area of movement
>towards democracy and full respect of human rights."
>

>De Soto said a report would be made to the assembly late next week.

>No details have been released on his talks since he arrived
>in Yangon on Tuesday, although the government said his meeting with
>Khin Nyunt had been "constructive and fruitful."

Comments:
=========
We are not overly excited whenever we've heard Khin Nyunt saying these
words. We've heard him said similar words after he met U Aung Shwe of
the NLD party on the 18 August 1998. And look what we've got after he
said these words. SPDC went back to their old style again by detaining
the NLD MPs and members against their will and even sent some of them to
jail when they refused to answer their questions the way they wanted.

>National League for Democracy chairman Aung Shwe met for nearly an
>hour with junta intelligence chief Lieutenant General Khin Nyunt,
>widely seen as number two in the military heirarchy, the NLD and >junta
said in separate statements. The junta described the talks as >"open,
cordial and frank." "We hope this is the first in a series of
>confidence-building talks between the government and the NLD," Khun
>Nyunt was quoted as saying.

>``We hope that this is the first in a series of confidence-building
>talks between the government and the NLD,'' a government statement
>quoted Khin Nyunt as saying.

Let's wait and see what SPDC has to offer this time. I hope the NLD
party should be able to lead the people of Burma and be ready to take
appropriate steps following the response of the SPDC in the coming
weeks.

In soliderity with the NLD.

Minn Kyaw Minn
==============

> [...]
>
>U.N. Assistant Secretary-General Alvaro de Soto said he met
>opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi and senior figures of the
>ruling military council during his trip, which coincided with a
>damning U.N.report on human rights abuses in Myanmar.
>
>De Soto declined to detail the results of his mission on his
>arrival in Bangkok from the Myanmar capital Yangon.
>
>"The mandate the secretary general has is a good offices
>mandate, and good offices almost by definition are conducted in a
>confidential manner," he told Reuters.
>
>His trip had been to help U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan
>in the exercise of a General Assembly mandate "to encourage
>authorities in Myanmar to address concerns in the area of movement
>towards democracy and full respect of human rights."
>
>De Soto said a report would be made to the assembly late
>next week.
>
>In Yangon, de Soto also met Lieutenant General Khin Nyunt,
>the intelligence chief considered the most powerful figure in
>the ruling council.
>
>No details have been released on his talks since he arrived
>in Yangon on Tuesday, although the government said his meeting with
>Khin Nyunt had been "constructive and fruitful."
>
>Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy won Myanmar's last
>election in 1990, but was not allowed to take office. It
>says the government has responded to its demands for a parliament by
>detaining nearly 1,000 NLD members since May.
>
>Myanmar and U.N. officials have kept up a war of words in
>recent months over human rights, in particular the treatment of Suu
>Kyi's party.
>
>On Wednesday, a U.N. investigator released a report saying
>rights violations, ranging from torture, rape and forced labour to
>the harassment of opposition parties, persist in Myanmar.
>
>The situation had "not evolved in any favourable way" since
>an earlier report on the matter in April, said Rajsoomer Lallah, a
>member of the U.N. Human Rights Commission.
>
>He said he remained "deeply concerned" about the harassment
>of politicians and the large number of political prisoners.
>
>Lallah said the violations, which included extrajudicial and
>arbitrary executions, rape and forced labour, had been so numerous as
>to suggest they were "the result of policy at the highest
>level, entailing political and legal responsibility."
>
>The government announced on Wednesday that NLD member Aung
>Min, 52, died of cancer last week while in custody. It said
>it regretted his death at a military hospital.
>
>Eight years ago, senior NLD member Maung Ko died in custody
>during a high profile visit by the U.N.'s Sadako Ogata, now
>U.N. high commissioner for refugees, to check on rights abuses.
>
>The military said Maung Ko committed suicide, but relatives
>said bruises on his body showed he had been tortured to death.
>
>Myanmar's Foreign Minister Ohn Gyaw said last month the
>world had no right to interfere in Myanmar's internal affairs when the
government had "chosen the path of democracy."