18/11/98:HELP!URGENT LETTER TO PRES

Subject: 18/11/98:HELP!URGENT LETTER TO PRESIDENT CLINTON.

24-Nov-98
To: Our friend of Burma on Internet

Dear Friend:

Urgent help from all our friends on this Net are required as regards
Burma Human Rights resolution at this Session of UN General Assembly .
Following I enclosed a draft resolution (A/C.3/53/L.59)  which is
forwarded by Burma Peace Foundation .  This draft resolution, as it
stands, fails to address specific human rights problems in Burma and,
to my personal opinion, a mere repetition of  the text of resolution
in last year. The resolution do not at all reflect the seriousness of
the report of ILO inquiry of forced labour in Burma. Furthermore,
The resolution conspicuously fails to properaly
acknowledge the National League for Democracy's efforts to convene
peoples' parliament and; to note the SPDC/SLORC's total failure in the
Constitution drafting process. In fact, there has been NO MENTION AT
ALL about the Burma's constitution drafting process in this draft
resolution. With such kind of shallow efforts by the UN General
Assembly, it is impossible to expect any improvement on human rights
situation in Burma particularly in the coming year. In short, this
draft resolution presents a total disappointment to the Burma
democracy movement.

Though disappointed, I ask our friends to write to President Clinton
to help put a strong and action-oriented resolution on Burma at this
General Assembly.  Here, I enclosed the relevant address at the US
State Department with Fax number & copy to UN Secretary-General
please.

Please also note that I am doing these activities as a grassroots
activist: which MEANS that your kind support to any campaign action is
totally essential. One persons' advocacy do not carry much weight; I
am counting on all your helps. The political stability of Burma is
dependent upon how much progress have we made on this international
forum --- UNGA. Since this years' UNGA resolution is very important,
your action may help saved the whole years' work of NLD and, perhaps,
many Burmese lives.

With best regards, U Ne Oo.
enclosed
(1) my letter to President Bill Clinton (2) the draft resolution
(A/C.3/53/L.59).
----
(1)LETTER TO PRESIDENT BILL CLINTON
**********************************

President William Clinton
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington DC 20500
United States of America

Dear Mr President:
re: The UN General Assembly resolution on Burma

I am writing to Mr President for your help in regards to this years'
United Nations General Assembly resolution on Burma. The present
political situation in Burma suggest that pro-democracy forces must
put the priority  on enhancing the legitimacy of National League for
Democracy, the winners of the May 1990 General Election. In this
connection, I enclosed my report to the 53rd Session of UN General
Assembly, "A Plan for Peacebuilding and Transition to Democracy in
Burma", for your information. In that report I have in particular
advocated to UN General Assembly to adopt a strong and action-oriented
resolution that will ultimately enhance the legitimacy of National
League for Democracy.

>From our experience in working with UN General Assembly to promote
human rights for Burma, we have often faced with the resistance by
some conservative governments as well as the reactionary elements
within the international community. These reactionary groups, who are
not necessarily the supporters of Burmese junta, usually fear about
setting precedence at the United Nations, especially, in the cases of
promoting human rights and democracy within context of UN General
Assembly and its resolutions. I therefore appeal you and the
Government of United States to take a strong stand at this UNGA
regarding with Burma resolution.

In closing, I thank you for your kind attention to this matter.
Continuing help to Burma democracy and human rights movements by the
Government of United States and the US Congress are most appreciated
by the Burmese people.

 Yours respectfully and sincerely,
  (Sd. U Ne Oo)
Facsimile Numbers:
President Bill Clinton,
c/- Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor, US State Department
Fax: (1-202)647-9519

Mr Kofi Annan, UN Secretary-General
c/- UN Department of Political Affairs, United Nations New York NY
10017
fax:(1-212)963-1395
 -------------
/* posted 24 Nov 1998 by darnott@xxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* -----------" 53rd UNGA draft resolution on Burma "------------- */

>United Nations           A/C.3/53/L.59
>
>General Assembly
>
>Distr.: Limited
>Original: English
>
>Fifty-third session
>Third Committee
>Agenda item 110 (c)
>
>Human rights questions: human rights situations and reports of
special
>rapporteurs and representatives
>

>Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Costa Rica, Czech
Republic,
>Estonia, France,  Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania,

>Luxembourg, Monaco, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San
Marino,
>Slovakia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom of Great
>Britain and Northern Ireland and United States of America: draft
resolution

>Situation of human rights in Myanmar
>

>The General Assembly,
>
>Reaffirming that all Member States have an obligation to promote and
>protect human rights and fundamental freedoms as stated in the
Charter of
>the United Nations and elaborated in the Universal Declaration of
Human
>Rights,(1) the International Covenants on Human Rights(2) and other
>applicable human rights instruments,
>
>Aware that, in accordance with the Charter, the Organization promotes
and
>encourages  respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms for all
and
>that the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that the will
of the
>people shall be the basis of the authority of government,
>
>Recalling its resolution 52/137 of 12 December 1997,
>
>Also recalling Commission on Human Rights resolutions 1992/58 of 3
March
>1992,(3) in which the Commission, inter alia, decided to nominate a
special
>rapporteur with a given  mandate, and 1998/63 of 21 April 1998,(4) in
which
>the Commission decided to extend for one  year the mandate of its
Special
>Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Myanmar,
>
>Gravely concerned that the Government of Myanmar still has not
implemented
>its commitment to take all necessary steps towards democracy in the
light
>of the results of the elections held in 1990,
>
>Noting the contact between the Government of Myanmar and the National

>League for Democracy, but regretting the failure of the Government of

>Myanmar to engage in a substantive political dialogue with Aung San
Suu Kyi
>and other political leaders, including representatives of ethnic
groups,

>Noting with concern that the Government of Myanmar has not permitted
>visit by the Personal Emissary of the Secretary-General,
>
>Noting with deep regret the continued failure of the Government of
Myanmar
>to cooperate with the Special Rapporteur,
>
>Gravely concerned at the continuing and consistent violations of
human
>rights in Myanmar, as reported by the Special Rapporteur,
>
>Noting with grave concern the content of the report of the
International
>Labour Organization Commission of Inquiry, appointed in March 1997,
in
>accordance with article 26 of the  International Labour Organization
>Constitution, regarding the observance by Myanmar of the Forced
Labour
>Convention, 1930 (No. 29), which indicates a widespread and
systematic use
>of forced labour imposed by the military on the civilian population,
>
>Recalling the observation made by the Special Rapporteur that the
absence
>of respect for the rights pertaining to democratic governance is at
the
>root of all the major violations of human rights in Myanmar,
>

>1. Expresses its appreciation to the Special Rapporteur of the
Commission
>on Human Rights on the situation of human rights in Myanmar for his
interim
>report;(5)
>
>2. Urges the Government of Myanmar to cooperate fully with all United

>Nations authorities and bodies, in particular and without further
delay
>with the Special Rapporteur, and to ensure his access to Myanmar,
without
>preconditions, in order to establish direct contact with the
Government and
>all other sectors of society to allow him fully to discharge his
mandate;

>3. Also expresses its appreciation to the Secretary-General for his
>report,(6) and notes
>with concern the observations contained in the report;
>
>4. Deplores the continuing violations of human rights in Myanmar,
including
>extrajudicial and arbitrary executions, rape, torture, inhuman
treatment,
>mass arrests, forced  labour, forced relocation and denial of freedom
of
>expression, assembly, association and  movement, as reported by the
Special
>Rapporteur;
>
>5. Notes with deep concern the increased restrictions on the freedom
of
>movement and the large numbers of arbitrary detentions and harassment
of
>political activitists, including elected representatives to the
Parliament,
>and urges the Government of Myanmar to permit unrestricted
communication
>with and physical access to Aung San Suu Kyi, as well as other
political
>leaders, and to protect their physical well-being;
>
>6. Strongly urges the Government of Myanmar to release immediately
and
>unconditionally detained political leaders and all political
prisoners, to
>ensure their physical integrity and to permit them to participate in
the
>process of national reconciliation;
>
>7. Urges the Government of Myanmar to urgently expand and intensify
its
>contacts with the National League for Democracy with a view to
engaging in
>a substantive political dialogue with the General Secretary of the
League,
>Aung San Suu Kyi, and other political leaders, including
representatives of
>ethnic and other groups, as the best means of promoting national
>reconciliation and the full and early restoration of democracy;
>
>8. Strongly urges the Government of Myanmar, taking into account its
>assurances given at various times, to take all necessary steps
towards the
>restoration of democracy in accordance with the will of the people as

>expressed in the democratic elections held in 1990 and to ensure that

>political parties and non-governmental organizations can function
freely,
>and in that context notes that the National League for Democracy
recently
>established a committee to temporarily represent the Parliament;
>
>9. Also strongly urges the Government of Myanmar to take all
appropriate
>measures to allow all citizens to participate freely in the political

>process, in accordance with the principles of the Universal
Declaration of
>Human Rights, and to accelerate the process of transition to
democracy, in
>particular through the transfer of power to democratically elected
>representatives;
>
>10.    Further strongly urges the Government of Myanmar to ensure
full
>respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms, including freedom
of
>expression, association, movement and assembly, the right to a fair
trial
>and the protection of the rights of persons belonging to ethnic and
>religious minorities, to put an end to violations of the right to
life and
>integrity of the human being, to the practices of torture, abuse of
women,
>forced labour and forced relocations and to enforced disappearances
and
>summary executions, and to fulfil its obligations to end the impunity
of
>perpetrators of human rights violations, including members of the
military,
>and to investigate and prosecute alleged violations committed by
government
>agents in all circumstances;
>
>11.    Calls upon the Government of Myanmar to implement fully the
>recommendations  made by the Special Rapporteur;
>
>12.    Welcomes the accession by the Government of Myanmar to the
>Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against
>Women,(7) and appeals to the  Government of Myanmar to consider
becoming a
>party to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights,(2)
the
>International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (2)
and the
>Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman and Degrading
Treatment
>or Punishment(8) and the International Convention on the Elimination
of All
>Forms of Racial Discrimination;(9)
>
>13.    Strongly urges the Government of Myanmar to fulfil its
obligations
>with regard to the Convention on the Rights of the Child, as set out
in the
>concluding comments of the Committee on the Rights of the Child;
>
>14.    Also strongly urges the Government of Myanmar to fulfil its
>obligations as a State party to the Forced Labour Convention, 1930
(No.
>29), and to the Freedom of Association and Protection of the Right to

>Organize Convention, 1948 (No. 87), of the International Labour
>Organization, and to implement the recommendations of the
International
>Labour Organization Commission of Inquiry regarding the
implementation of
>the Forced Labour Convention, and encourages further communication
between
>the Government and the International Labour Organization;
>
>15.    Stresses the importance for the Government of Myanmar to give
>particular attention to improving the conditions in the country's
jails and
>to allow the competent international humanitarian organization to
>communicate freely and confidentially with prisoners;
>
>16.    Calls upon the Government of Myanmar and other parties to the
>hostilities in Myanmar to respect fully the obligations under
international
>humanitarian law, including article 3 common to the Geneva
Conventions of
>12 August 1949, to halt the use of weapons against the civilian
population,
>to protect all civilians, including children, women and persons
belonging
>to ethnic or religious minorities, from violations of humanitarian
law and
>to avail themselves of such services as may be offered by impartial
>humanitarian bodies;
>
>17.    Expresses concern that the human rights situation in Myanmar,
and
>the lack of stability, has resulted in flows of refugees to
neighbouring
>countries, and may cause further negative effects for these
countries, and
>therefore calls upon the Government of Myanmar to create the
necessary
>conditions to ensure an end to the movements of refugees to
neighbouring
>countries and to create conditions conducive to their voluntary
return and
>their full reintegration, in conditions of safety and dignity;
>
>18.    Welcomes the recent visits to Myanmar by the Envoy of the
>Secretary-General for the purpose of discussions with the Government
and
>with Aung San Suu Kyi and other political leaders, and further
encourages
>the Government of Myanmar to engage in a broader and more regular
dialogue
>with the Secretary-General and to facilitate access by his
representative
>to all sectors of society in Myanmar;
>
>19.    Requests the Secretary-General to continue his discussions on
the
>situation of human rights and the restoration of democracy with the
>Government of Myanmar, and to submit additional reports to the
General

--
HTTP://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/~uneoo
EMAILS: drunoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx, uneoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx