SEP/OCT-98 AI AUSTRALIA NEWSLETTER. (r)

POSTED 7:07AM, 6 DEC 98.
/* Beginreport */
AI AUSTRALIA Newsletter; Sept/Oct 1998.

MYANMAR: Ten years of struggle and courage

The tenth anniversary of the pro-democracy uprising in August this
year was a time for reflection and for renewed action. Pro-democracy
leaders are making a renewed and determined effort to bring about
change in Myanmar.

IMPRISONMENT for political beliefs continues unabated in Myanmar.
Amnesty International has documented a large number of instances of
torture of pro-democracy activists. Torture and ill treatment during
initial interrogation has become routine. Many prisoners have become
seriously ill and have died in custody. Pro-democracy leaders in
Myanmar are calling on the State Peace and Development Council(SPDC)
to address the outstanding issues of the 1990 elections won by the
National League for Democracy(NLD). They are also calling for an end
to the abuse and persecution of Myanmar citizens through forced
labour.

TIME TO END FORCED LABOUR
A hard hitting report into forced labour in Myanmar was recently
released by the International Labour Organisation(ILO). It called on
the SPDC to cease the widespread ill treatment of forced labourers,
and urged governments and companies investing in Myanmar to ensure
their operations do not lead to human rights violations.

During counter-insurgency offensives, the army has forced thousands of
villagers to carry weaponry, munitions and provisions for the army.
Hundreds have been either killed or left for dead if they tried to
escape or could not perform their duties often for reasons beyond
their control--old age or illness such as malaria. The majority of
victims are from ethnic minorities such as the Karen, Mon, Shan,
Rohingya, Karenni, and Chin people, who make up one third of the
population in Myanmar.

The army forces civilians from all ethnic groups to work on roads,
dams, quarries, and railways throughout the country, all in the name
of 'development' for the people. Villagers of all ages, regardless of
gender, are forced to work long hours in often dangerous conditions
without pay, adequate food or medicare. Those unable to perform their
duties to the satisfaction of the army face beatings and withholding
of food. Those who are forced to labour on a regular basis cannot tend
their farms or otherwise earn their living.

Amnesty International has documented and reported on forced labour by
the tatmadaw (Burmese Army) for more than ten years.  AI welcomes the
ILO report. It is a significant tool for governments, the United
Nations, non-government organisations (NGOs), trade unionists, and
individuals around the world to use tin raising awareness of the dire
human rights situation in Myanmar.

IN MYANMAR RIGHT NOW
As you read this there will be arrest on the streets of Rangoon. The
people of Myanmar have decided this is crunch time and protests
continue in spite of SPDC crackdowns. We need to help protect activits
during the coming weeks of protest by increasing pressure on the SPDC
for reform.

IN this newsletter we've given you a 'double-action'postcard. One card
is for you to send to the SPDC, so they know the eyes of the world are
very much upon them. The other card is for Daw  San San New, writer
and NLD member, imprisoned since 1994 for trying to provide the UN
Special Rapporteur with information on human rights abuses -- for
speaking truth. Please send your words of support to us and we will
make every effort to deliver them to her.
******
PERSPECTIVE:
Alison Vicary

Alison Vicary, now back in Australia says, 'After going to
Burma(MYanmar), it's worse than you can imagine. So I'll continue to
work on the Selective Purchasing campaign with the Burma Support
Group. Essentially my resolve remains the same.'

WE decided to go to Burma on the weekend of the 8 August--t he tenth
anniversary of the violent suppression of the democracy movement.
Eighteen of us representing six nationalities intended to distribute
pamphlets. So in the morning we broke up into teams and each team had
two distribution points. I was on the Filipino team. We went to the
first distribution point at 10 am, distributed the leaflets for a very
short period of time-- probably five or ten minutes-- and then moved
on incredibly quickly. We were almost running as we delivered the
leaflets because of the potential danger to be caught. Then at 11 am
we went to the second distribution point. We probably handed out
leaflets there for about ten minutes, a good ten minutes, slightly
longer than the first site. I was with tow Filipinos who had gained
extensive experience in this kind of non-violent political activity
under Marcos. Both had been in prison for extensive periods of time.

So we had one guy, Sonny, in front, and Allen and myself were slightly
behind on either side of him. Sonny would look to see if there was any
military intelligence or police, and he would call 'go', and we would
distribute. The he'd call 'stop'. This stop-go method enabled us to
distribute for a much longer period in that crowded setting, and
allowed us a much more extensive distribution than we actually
expected.

We had arranged to meet the other groups at lunchtime to ascertain
whether anyone had been arrested. When we reached the meeting point
only the Indonesian term had arrived. We discussed what possibly had
happened. The more frightening scenario was that they had been
arrested, the second, more hopeful idea was that they felt it too
dangerous to meet because they were being followed by military
intelligence-- and so they decided to go directly to the airport. We
left for the airport, but unfortunately there was no one there.  We
were there for about twenty minutes, and someone saying, 'Come this
way'.

Certainly everyone in the group was aware of the nature of the regime
and how contentious it is and how difficult it is to distribute
leaflets. This is why we had eighteen people from six different
countries, because the idea was that if we were caught we would be
departed. But the plan was to distribute the leaflets and leave on a
flight out that afternoon. It was not to be.

Photo: Australian Allison Vicary poses a gun shooting gesture as she
told the press that she was warned by some Rangoon residents to be
careful of soldiers during the pressconference at Bangkok Airport,
Sat. August 15, 1998. Vicary arrived to Bangkok with another 17
detained pro-democracy activists after Myanmar decided to expel them.
**********
THE UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS
How does Myanmar rate?

ARTICLE 3
Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.
IN MYANMAR TODAY, THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE HAVE FLED THE COUNTRY IN FEAR OF
RETALIATORY KILLINGS BY THE ARMY OF CIVILIANS, FORCED LABOUR PRACTICES
AND THE DESTRUCTION OF THEIR HOMES.

ARTICLE 5
No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading
treatment or punishment.
IN MYANMAR TODAY, IF YOU ARE ARRESTED IT IS LIKELY YOU WILL BE
TORTURED OR ILL-TREATED DURING YOUR INITIAL INTERROGATION.

ARTICLE 18
Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion.

IN MYANMAR TODAY, IF YOU OPENLY CALL FOR AN END TO HUMAN RIGHTS ABUSES
YOU WILL BE ARRESTED AND PROBABLY TORTURED FOR CIRTICISING THE
GOVERNMENT.

ARTICLE 21
Everyone has the right to take part in the government of their
country, directly or throught freely-chosen representatives.
IN MYANMAR TODAY, THE NATIONAL LEAGUE FOR DEMOCRACY(NLD) WHICH
OVERWHELMINGLY WON THE 1990 ELECTIONS, IS DENIED GOVERNMENT. ELECTED
MPS ARE REGULARLY HARASSED AND DETAINED.

ARTICLE 23
Everyone has the right to work.
IN MYANMAR TODAY, PEOPLE ARE FORCED TO WORK FOR THE ARMY AND ON
GOVERNMENT PROJECTS. THIS INCLUDES CHILDREN AND THE AGED.

/* Endreport */
--
HTTP://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/~uneoo
EMAILS: drunoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx, uneoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx