Excerpts from ASSK's Speech on 3 De

Subject: Excerpts from ASSK's Speech on 3 December 1998 (English)

National League for Democracy
No: (97/b) West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

EXCERPTS FROM ADDRESS GIVEN BY DAW AUNG SAN SUU KYI, GENERAL SECRETARY
OF THE NATIONAL LEAGUE FOR DEMOCRACY
on 3 December 1998

x x x There is no doubt that other countries will aid a country which
has a government that is respected by the people, a government that is
one with the people, a government that is aware of its responsibilities
to the people and acts responsibly. The country receiving such aid must
spend it wisely, honestly and responsibly otherwise it will amount to
pouring water through a sieve.

x x x  We need to look at how our living standard in 1998 compares with
our living standard in 1988. Has it improved or has it deteriorated ? We
have repeatedly emphasised that living standards relate to health and
education. It bears repeating because it is the truth. Physical health
will produce physical well being.

x x x Education develops our ability and potential - not our physical
ability but our mental ability. What is there that is good for a person
with poor education and poor health?

x x x What does this show? That our country is not progressing but is
deteriorating. In assessing the living standard, one must look at the
majority of people and not at small visible elite group. The vast
majority - what is their plight? Look at the medical facilities? Look at
the educational facilities? Universities are now closed. Universities
are the highest level. But look at the lowest level- primary schools.
Even there, non attendance numbers are increasing.

x x x  I am talking about the numbers who do not attend school at all.
The percentage of drop-outs from primary schools too is increasing.

x x x  The percentage of children who cannot go to school also has
increased.

x x x  No matter how aid is received from the international community, a
country whose people have lost faith in the government will not advance
because there will be no cooperation.

x x x   There must be an honest appraisal of the situation and a
decision made about our priorities. Only a democratic government can
arrive at a right decision. Why? Because in a democratic system the
voices of the people will be heard.

x x x  Whether you want to listen or do not want to listen the people
can make their voices heard.

x x x  What I am saying is that countries around the world will have
compassion and will come to the aid and assistance of a country where
the government is responsible and is one with its people( in mind and
body), and the people with full knowledge of their responsibility will
cooperate and use this aid to produce effective advantages for the
advancement and prosperity of the people.

x x x The matter of billion dollars aid. News that prevails is that
Burma will be granted aid of a billion dollars if the authorities can
come to a settlement with the NLD. We heard this when Desoto was here so
we asked him why, thinking that the would be able to clarify the matter.
He said that he had no knowledge about this but explained that when aid
of a certain amount was given to Vietnam it was no the basis of its
population. Therefore there must be some speculation about the matter
and the figure of one billion must have been arrived at on the same
basis.

x x x Relinquishing the notion of convening a Peoples Parliament as a
prerequisite for negotiation with the authorities is another matter. It
is a different issue from the billion dollars. We have not been
approached directly  x x x x x   but from what is being said by the
ambassadors, the reporters, senior members holding high positions in the
SPDC my understanding is that if we relinquish the concept of convening
a Peoples Parliament, all NLD Parliamentarians-elect and members of the
NLD now held and imprisoned will be immediately released. I
categorically say that we will not and cannot give up the right to
convene parliament.

x x x  This is a method employed by dacoits and robbers who hold people
for ransom; whose release can be bought by payment of certain sums of
money. I have clarified this point that no country with a responsible
government will ever accept this proposition. Why? Because if you yield
to the demands of a dacoit once, he will offend again. This is the
practice of robbers.

x x x  Every responsible government will acknowledge that it is wrong to
negotiate with robbers and dacoits who hold people for ransom.

x x x  Should we now accede to this proposition of relinquishing the
right to convene parliament in order that our members be released, what
will we do when they are arrested again and we are made to relinquish
our desire for democracy.

x x x  On this matter we will never give in. That the results of the
1990 General Elections must be implemented is a resolution already taken
by the United Nations. We already know that the General Assembly of the
United Nations has accepted the notion that the will of the people has
been expressed in the 1990 General Elections. This is something we can
not abandon. It will be to the detriment of our country if after an
election has been held the results are not honoured and we do not resist
attempts to trivialise it.

x x x The persons in  authority who are governing our country have
admitted they are not a de jure  government. Our parliamentarians are
the legally elected representatives of the people.

x x x The dignity and reputation of the elected representatives can not
be undermined by us.

x x x  The arrests and imprisonment of the elected representatives of
the people indicate that the entire country, all the people are being
held and imprisoned.

x x x  We are all being held captives. The circumstances under which we
are being held captives is just a matter of degree.

x x x " Bad " and " worse " is the degree of difference.

                                   END.