REPORT ON THE MYANMAR-FRENCH PONDAU

Subject: REPORT ON THE MYANMAR-FRENCH PONDAUNG PRIMATE EXPEDITION

burmanet2-l@xxxxxxxx, burma-open-forum-list@xxxxxxx

REPORT ON THE MYANMAR-FRENCH PONDAUNG PRIMATE EXPEDITION (NOVEMBER- DECEMBER
98)

 First, the French group of the Myanmar-French Pondaung Primate expedition
wishes to express his gratitude to the Government of Myanmar to allow French
Scientist to participate to that challenging research of reconstructing our
ancestor's history. Special thanks go to O.S.S and to its Head, Col. Than Tun
and co-workers for their invaluable help and cooperation. Soldiers and
villagers who helped us massively should be also associated to these thanks.

 Since its last trip in April 98, the French group has progressed in its
studies. He has confirmed the Anthropoid nature of Amphipithecus remains from
Bahin but he has also recognized the Anthropoid status of two other fossils,
Pondaungia and Siamopithecus. He has recognized more than 12 characters that
unites these fossil Primates into one single group to which he proposed to
give the name of Amphipithecidae, erecting therefore a new family for the
Southeast Asian Anthropoids. He has also demonstrated that this new family of
Amphipithecidae is more closely related to the African Propliopithecidae than
to any other Primate family.

 This indicates clearly that the Amphipithecidae played a critical role as
ancestors of higher Primates. In his analysis, the French group predicted that
Pondaungia cotteri was also an Anthropoid and that he was closely related to
Amphipithecus. We have also the double pleasure to announce the discovery in
Mogaung Than Dhaung locality of a complete right lower jaw of P.cotteri that
completely confirms the Anthropoid nature of that fossil and its close
relationships to Amphipithecus. The dental fomula (3 premolars) with reduced
P/2 with one single root and transversely elongated premolars are
characteristic for Anthropoids.

 The occurence of an early Anthropoid radiation in Southeast Asia is therefore
strongly evidenced yet. We have also tried to contribute to precise the age of
these fossiliferous deposits using graphic magnetostrati studies. Our last
field trip data (Dr. Benammi) are encouraging but not complete enough to
conclude. All Primates levels so far investigated are of normal polarity. But
there are several normal anomalies in the late Middle Eocene so that it is not
possible to demonstrate the contemporanity or heterochrony of the different
localities. But the additional samples taken during this trip may help to
solve this challenging problem.

 In any case however, the Myanmar Anthropoids are the oldest and most advanced
so far recognized Anthropoids. This suggests also a Southeast Asian origin of
the Anthropoids that subsequently invaded Africa. The problem of the origin of
Anthropoids is an old debate in our field. Some author root them in the
Adapids, some others in the Tarsiforms. There is therefore a new challenge to
solve that problem. It is therefore a special pleasure to announce the
discovery of a complete Maxilla (left and right) and fragment of lower jaw (C-
M/1) of a tiny new Primate in Primate Resort locality (Bahin). It is small,
very primitive, of Prosimian grade, but bears already several characters that
suggests Anthropoid affinities. We can consider it as the sister group of
Anthropoids, showing characters of the true ancestors of Anthropoids.
Therefore, Bahin Primate Resort locality is a real sanctuary for the history
of Anthropoid Primates. The ancestor and its descendant have been discovered
from the same level, less than 20 meters from each others and more fossil may
be discovered there in the future.

 As a conclusion, the results obtained so far, were unexpected in their
importance. They are the result of an excellent, friendly and constructive
collaboration between Myanmar people and Frenchs.

 We express again our thanks to all Myanmar Authorities and collegues and
express the wish that this exceptionally fruitful cooperation can go on in the
future and be associated with some academic training and scientific formation
of young Myanmar students in France in the field of Vertebrate Paleontology,
Paleoprimatology, Paleoanthropology and Archeology.

Prof. JEAN JACQUES JAEGER