NLD Statement 126 in English

National League for Democracy
No: (97/b) West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

STATEMENT 126 (12/98)

Transcript  of paragraphs 13 and 14 of letter dated 21 December 1998
from the Chairman of the National League for Democracy to the State
Peace and Development Council are published for information.

Paragraph 13
We urge you to take urgent action to prohibit and stop the operations of
the military intelligence authorities against the political activities
in the national interest of democracy and human rights. This will
inevitably blacken the pages of history and cause suffering to the
future generation. This operation is entirely illegal and brought about
by the use of force and coercion. It is detrimental to the future of the
country.

Paragraph 14
Acting under instructions from higher authorities, the military units
have illegally arrested and imprisoned NLD parliamentarians elect,
members of organising committees ( States, Divisions, Townships, Wards,
and Villages) and forced resignations of the membership and thus
extinguishing branches. We remind you that all of this and the rampant
abuse of authority will not in any solve the crisis and problems facing
the country in the
- Political arena
- Commercial arena consequential to the political problems
- Social arena consequential to commercial problems

Central Executive Committee
National League for Democracy

23 December 1998.