The BurmaNet News: January 4, 1998

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
 "Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: January 4, 1999
Issue #1172

Noted in Passing: "How low must we as a nation sink to get a better deal?"  -
Chee Soon Juan, Singapore Democratic Party Chief (see Singapore Straits Times:
Chee Gives Talk Without Permit)

HEADLINES:
==========
INDEPENDENT ANALYSIS: BURMESE POLITICS OF WAR
NLD: STATEMENT #129 - PROFITEERING
ARAKAN ROHINGYA NATIONAL ORG: INITIAL STATEMENT
BKK POST: ITALY-JAPAN GROUP WINS PIPELINE BID
BKK POST: VENTURES IN NEIGHBORING COUNTRIES BACKED
S'PORE STRAITS TIMES: CHEE GIVES TALK WITHOUT PERMIT

INDEPENDENT ANALYSIS: THE IMPENDING MILITARY OFFENSIVE IN BURMA AND THE
BURMESE
POLITICS OF WAR
3 January, 1998 by Chao-Tzang Yawnghwe

With regard to the Rangoon regime's impending military offensive against
rebels
-- if it is directed against the Karenni, Karen and Shan rebels -- the
significance of it is clear: more trouble for the civilian populace. It will
result in further displacements of thousands of villagers and loss of civilian
lives. Some will lose their lives as porters -- either beaten and killed by
the
military, blown up by mines, or caught in the crossfire.

In addition, the already internally displaced villagers hiding in the bushes
will be trapped or caught by military patrols and killed as rebel sympathizers
(for having been found in the "free-fire" or killing zones). The women among
them will be gang-raped and killed. Losses among combatants on both sides will
likely be very light, however. This has for long been the pattern of the
regime's "military offensive" against rebel forces in the ethnic areas.

What is not clear is whether the targets of the planned military offensive
will
include the Wa armies. There are three such armies: the northern Wa army, the
southern Wa army, and the smaller Wa forces on the Thai-Shan border. The
latter
army is small and is able to easily slip into Thailand, and any military push
against this small, very mobile guerilla force will be ineffective and
militarily meaningless.

The former two Wa armies are well-armed and are under the control of or are
heavily influenced by crossborder Chinese drug trafficking syndicates (forming
a network of trade and finance straddling five countries:
Burma-China/Yunnan-Thailand-Laos-Cambodia). The two Wa armies have also signed
ceasefire agreements, in particular with General Khin Nyunt and the Military
Intelligence/MI establishment of the army (or the "tatmadaw").

It is reported that the tatmadaw's field commanders and General Maung Aye's
faction are unhappy with the protection afforded the two powerful Wa armies by
Khin Nyunt and the MI people, and also with the subsequent close, and mutually
beneficial, relations thus established (for more than ten years) between these
elements.

Another inducement for Maung Aye and the tatmadaw's combat wing factions to
take on the two Wa armies is to convince the international community (the
United States in particular) that the military (minus the intelligence camp,
that is) is seriously committed to fighting the war on drugs -- the
opium-heroin trade. According to diplomatic sources in Thailand, this kind of
thinking is also being advocated, paradoxically, by some elements in the OSS
(Office of Strategic Studies headed by Khin Nyunt, and staffed mostly by MI
officers).

It remains to be seen whether the Maung Aye faction will dare to take on the
two Wa armies. Burma-watchers are of the opinion that if the impending
military
offensive also targets either of the two Wa armies, this will be politically
most significant. It might be "read" as a show of defiance on the part of the
tatmadaw's combat wing against the long dominance (since 1962 or even earlier)
over the military as a whole by the intelligence wing. It will also
represent a
power-play by the Maung Aye-Tin U faction against Khin Nyunt.

However, close observers of the politics of war in Burma maintain that a show
of defiance by the tatmadaw's combat wing in this manner -- taking on tough,
well-armed Wa warriors -- is unlikely. It is unlikely because the Wa are
better
armed, better commanded, better disciplined, and more battle-experienced than
the tatmadaw. The enlarged and now bloated tatmadaw is, military experts
(including military attaches posted to Burma) agree, no match for the Wa
armies, which are in addition well-connected with intelligence elements or
cliques (in Yunnan) of China's PLA (People's Liberation Army).

It can be concluded that the military offensive threatened by the regime will
largely be a "search and destroy" operation, or series of such operations,
that
seek out and kill villagers and destroy villages; it will not change the
military equation in any way.

It would therefore be accurate to portray the impending military offensive as
waging war against the defenseless ethnic population, aimed at sowing terror
and emptying the land of unwanted ethnic groups which, from the regime's
viewpoint, constitute an obstacle to "national unity" and/or pose a threat to
"national solidarity".

NATIONAL LEAGUE FOR DEMOCRACY: STATEMENT #129 - PROFITEERING

Contents of letter dated 29 December 1998 by the Chairman of the National
League for Democracy to the Chairman of the State Peace and Development
Council
informing him of the real conditions under which the cultivators and peasants
have been existing in 1998 are herein published for the information of all.

(Start) 1. In a letter dated 22 December 1998 from the peasants and
cultivators
of Kaukhmu township in Rangoon Division to the Rangoon Division Organising
Committee of the NLD it is alleged that what appears to be assistance by the
government, in fact and truth amounts to profiteering.

2. Though the rate of interest charged by the bank this year was (Kyat 1 fifty
pyas) at the time of taking of the loan, it increased to (Kyat 1 seventy five
pyas) at the time for repayment. The only explanation was that the rate had
increased. The amount fixed on peasants for saving too has increased from one
Kyat to five Kyats and though these savings have accumulated through the
years,
we have been informed that this money can not be traced so the peasants have
been denied any benefits.

3. This year, the claim is that the Village Fund is being enlarged (by
exacting
more money from the cultivators) despite the fact that no money is spent to
benefit the villages and the cultivators. There has been no accounts given of
income and expenditure of the large amounts of money repeatedly collected by
the Rural Bank towards this Fund. Only this year payments under three
different
categories (Regular Fund, Increased Savings Fund, and Special fund) have to be
made at one and the same time. It make at the end of six months, the rate of
interest paid by a cultivator is three kyats per hundred kyats. Paddy price is
not fixed in advance at the time of purchase. Kyats thirty thousand
(30,000) is
the rate at which Ngasein rice is settled in December even though the market
price is Kyats sixty thousand (60,000). If farmers can not fulfil their
obligations, the authorities apply all kinds of pressure and the cultivators
are extremely hard pressed.

This information is sent in order that the authorities concerned can
investigate and equitably settle the matters referred to for the peasants in
the area.

Central Executive Committee, National League for Democracy

ARAKAN ROHINGYA NATIONAL ORGANIZATION (ARNO): INITIAL STATEMENT

Following is the initial statement by the Arakan Rohingya National
Organisation, formed by the merger of previous Rohingya groups, on December
13,
1998. It will be of interest to Burma-watchers as a comprehensive vision for
the future from a currently marginalized ethnic group.

=====

Declaration of the Arakan Rohingya National Organization (ARNO)

The international community is well aware that we the 3.5 million peace-loving
Muslims of Arakan known as "Rohingya" have been long subjected to large-scale
persecution, genocide, ethnic-cleansing, diabolical tyranny and extermination
particularly by the successive Burmese autocratic regimes, the worst being the
present State Peace and Development Council (SPDC) military regime. They are
also made largest target of other widespread human rights violations,
including
rape, summary execution, torture, slave labour, restriction on movement,
forcible dispossession and seizure of their land, denial of their citizenship,
compelling them to become stateless or refugees. As a result about 1.5 million
of Rohingyas have been expelled or have to leave their ancestral homeland for
their lives.

In the face of the rapidly deteriorating situation of the Rohingyas
threatening
their very existence and daunting challenges thrown upon them by the military
junta, all Rohingya organizations have strongly felt that the total unity of
the Rohingya people is indispensable. Thus the three Rohingya Organisations --
Arakan Rohingya Islamic Front (ARIF) led by Nurul Islam, Rohingya Solidarity
Organisation (RSO) led by Dr. Mohammad Yunus and Rohingya Solidarity
Organisation (RSO) led by Professor Mohammad Zakaria -- having common outlook
towards all national, political and ideological matters, have united together
and merged into a single organisation namely Arakan Rohingya National
Organisation (ARNO) to serve the cause of their people. Having established
this
broad-based organisation with the unanimous and unflinching support of the
entire Rohingya people to translate their hopes and aspirations so as to shape
and charter their own destiny in accordance with their free will, we hereby
declare:

1) That the struggle of the Arakan Rohingya National Organisation (ARNO) is to
achieve the right of self-determination of the Rohingya people. This struggle
is but a continuation of Rohingya people's long and heroic resistance
movement.
We the Rohingya people will remain steadfast and never lower our resistance
till final victory.

2) That the Burmese military junta has been indulging in religious persecution
as a means of Burmanizing the country. Much of this persecution has
historically targeted Muslims, however Christians and Hindus have also been
subjected to harassment. We are committed to the preservation and growth of
Islamic culture among our people without prejudice to the preservation and
growth of other religious and indigenous culture in our homeland.

3) That the Muslim community in the rest of Burma are also oppressed and
persecuted. In 1997 alone, over 40 mosques had been destroyed in organised
campaigns of looting by the military and planned anti-Muslim riots in central
Burma. The military has rejected to acknowledge the Burmese citizenship of the
Muslim refugees in Thailand and refused to receive them back unless they have
converted to Buddhism. We strongly condemn this act of religious persecution
and bigotry and urge the international community to protect the rights of the
racial and religious minorities in Burma. We will try every course of action
for their civil and political rights.

4) That the Rohingya masses, whether in the homeland or in the places of
refuge, comprise one national front. They are an integral part of the Islamic
Ummah as well as part of third world and of the oppressed colonized humanity
everywhere in the world.

5) That about half of our population has been expelled from the country in
order to annihilate the Rohingya people. Many of these uprooted people are now
taking shelter in Bangladesh, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, UAE, other Middle-East
countries and Malaysia. They are still hoping to return to their ancestral
homeland of Arakan. Renewed flows of Rohingya refugees to Bangladesh is
continuing due to increased incidences of forced relocation, pervasive use of
forced labour, torture, rape and other atrocities where the villagers are
suffering famine. We will take all effective measures for their honourable
repatriation, rehabilitation and reintegration in Arakan. We are very much
grateful to the people and Governments of the countries of their refuge for
their great magnanimity, help and sympathy towards these unfortunate people
with a request to help them continue a peaceful-living, on humanitarian
grounds
, until a congenial atmosphere is created for their safe return to their
centuries-old motherland.

6) That we will organize, inspire and activate the entire Rohingya people,
irrespective of their present places of residence or refuge. We will undertake
necessary steps to train and motivate the Rohingyas for improving their basic
human qualities and consciousness.

7) That we will undertake all programmes that may be needed from time to time
for the uplift of the Rohingya people in socio-cultural, economic, educational
and technical fields.

8) That the military regime is trying to obliterate and erase Muslim entity in
Arakan by distorting historical facts, destroying archeological remains,
mosques, madrassahs, shrines and graveyards in Arakan and Burma in order to
wipe out the Islamic cultural heritage of Arakan. The regime is deliberately
tampering with the actual figure of our people. They are engaged in
statistical
genocide in an effort to make our people look few, small and insignificant as
part of an evil design to deny us of our rights and prepare the minds of the
peoples of the world for the appalling consequences of genocide. We shall
leave
no stone unturned to preserve Rohingya's history and cultural heritage and to
maintain and reveal their actual population figure.

9) That we will establish a welfare society based on equality, liberty,
democracy, human rights and freedom for all people, without distinction as to
race, colour and religion. Economic deprivation, exploitation, injustice and
discrimination of any kind will be eradicated.

10) That the military junta known as State Peace and Development Council
(SPDC)
is clinging on power by brutally suppressing country's opposition democratic
forces and denying all the people of Burma their aspirations for human
security, rights and freedom, democracy and economic development. The military
is the root cause of all miseries and sufferings of the Burmese people. In
fact, SPDC has become one of the most abusive regimes in Asia and is an
illegitimate regime ruling the country against the will of the Burmese people.
We are determined to continue struggle, hand in hand with other compatriots
and
country's democratic forces, to put this military regime to an end.

11) That the Rohingyas are a peace-loving people and believe in the principle
of peaceful co-existence. It is irrefutable historical truth that the two
sister communities of Arakan -- Rohingya and Rakhine -- had lived together in
perfect amity for centuries. The ruling junta is playing the inherited "divide
and rule policy" among them to weaken and enslave them forever. We would like
to extend our hands of friendship and cooperation to our sister community and
work hand in glove with them in the interest of all people of Arakan,
including
that of the highlanders distributed among different tribes -- such as Chin,
Mro, Khami, Dainnet, Thet etc. -- so as to charter their future and that of
their generation to come. Meanwhile, we urge them to be vigilant against the
machination of the enemies.

12) That since Burmese independence, the spirit of the Union of Burma or the
principle of "unity in diversity" has been undermined resulting in fratricidal
civil war of long 50 years continuing till today. We believe that Burma's
diverse ethnic issues and problems can only be solved through a meaningful
dialogue among the military junta, the democratic opposition forces led by Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi and representatives of the different ethnic groups, including
that of the Rohingya people. Over and above, peace can only be established in
Burma when the country is transformed into a welfare state, based on
federalism
where equality, justice, humanity, fundamental human rights and freedom will
perpetually prevail and the right of self-determination of all ethnic peoples
is guaranteed. In this connection, we reiterate that self-determination of the
Rohingya people is a sine qua non for a permanent solution of their long
standing problem.

13) That Burma is a resourceful country. In spite of that Burma remains among
the least developed and backward countries in the region. Educational
institutions, universities and colleges remain closed, off and on, without
certainty. Burma's educational system is failing both students and teachers
and
the country has little chance of producing skilled workforce. The spread of
AIDS and communicable diseases are out of control and alarmingly affecting the
Burmese people. Without the timely removal of the autocratic military regime,
the future of Burmese people will be doomed forever. In this connection, we
reiterate to struggle together with the Burmese opposition and democratic
forces to put this dastardly military rule to an end once and for all.

14) That Bangladesh is our neighbourly country which practically shares the
experience of tragedy besetting the Rohingya people. Having deep traditional
and historical relationship in the bonds of Islamic fraternity and contiguity
in geographical position, the people of Bangladesh have had the opportunity to
closely view the historical process that led to the present position of the
Rohingyas. Besides, the atrocities upon Rohingyas have a direct affect on her,
particularly a huge number of Rohingyas have been taking refuge in Bangladesh
over the decades to escape persecution at home. We are thankful to Bangladesh
for providing food and shelter to our refugees. We, however, believe that
Bangladesh, being a neighbourly Muslim country, has historical and moral
obligation to endeavour for a permanent solution of the Rohingya problem.

15) That we are concerned about the attitude of the ASEAN countries towards
Burmese military regime. We urge the ASEAN leaders to review their policy on
Burma with the SPDC and to adopt a new direction for the welfare and in the
interest of the Burmese people. Particularly, the ASEAN leaders should not
allow the military to perpetuate their brutalities, deprivation, injustice and
insult to Islam and Muslims and other minorities in Burma.

16) That the international community is well aware that landmines is one of
the
most dangerous and barbaric weapons which is a serious threat to humanity.
Although campaign to ban landmines has achieved unprecedented attention,
landmines continue to be a threat to wildlives and common people of both sides
of the Burma-Bangladesh border, including refugees resulting in death and
injuries. Now fears have gripped the bordering villages of both Arakan and
Bangladesh. Burma military also planted landmines at the Burma-India border
and
occurred frequent explosion, died and injured many people. We condemn the SPDC
for laying of landmines and making the border areas a "death trap". We urge
upon the international community to pressure the SPDC to immediately clean up
landmines laid by its armed forces and stop further laying of the same.

17) That it is well known that the Rohingya women and girls have borne the
brunt of oppression by Burma's military regime. The soldiers and officers of
that regime in systematic campaigns have most horrendously abused them. We
salute the female Rohingyas' courageous efforts to survive, even as refugees,
widows and orphans. For the future, we support the rights of Rohingya women
and
girls to education, health and economic empowerment, in a new atmosphere of
utmost respect and absolute safety and security.

18) That as the dangerous narcotics flowing out of Burma with its military
regime's full involvement poses a terrible hardship to all people of Asia and
the world, we oppose this deadly trade. We will educate our youths of the
dangers of drugs (including AIDS infection) and firmly obstruct any such
narcotics trafficking through our land.

19) That we call for a halt to the present grievous ravaging of the forests of
our homeland by greedy exploiters and the Burmese military regime. For our
future generations' heritage we pledge to protect our environment, including
forests, rivers, wetlands, coastline ocean. We shall save our land from
unsustainable logging, killing of endangered species, all forms of pollution,
and over-fishing, to preserve a green haven for our children and the world.

20) That we reject and boycott against all multinational corporate investment
with Burmese regime. In the future of our land, any investment and development
must only be done with the wishes and welfare of our people in mind and with
their full informed consent and oversight. Future development must be
sustainable, appropriate, clean, and beneficial to the common people.

21) That we appeal for all-out support of the international community, the
Governments of the world and the World Bodies, including United Nations
Organisation (UNO), Organisation of Islamic Conference (OIC), Non-Aligned
Movement (NAM), South Asia Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC),
ASEAN,
Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs), other humanitarian and human rights
Organisations.

(signed) Nurul Islam
President, Central Committee
Arakan Rohingya National Organisation
Arakan (Burma)
13th December, 1998

THE BANGKOK POST: ITALY-JAPAN GROUP WINS PIPELINE BID

The Petroleum Authority of Thailand yesterday awarded a 5.2-billion-baht
contract to the Italian-Japanese consortium of Saipem and Mitsui & Co to build
a new onshore pipeline to transport natural gas from Burma.

PTT board chairman Pricha Attavipach rejected criticism that the bidding had
not been transparent.

The contract calls for a 30-inch-diameter pipeline, 154 kilometres long, from
the Ratchaburi power plant to Wang Noi, Ayutthaya.

Mr Pricha said the PTT appointed the bid committee in a transparent manner. It
had four representatives from PTT's logistics department, four from Bechtel
International Inc, which is PTT's engineering consultant, plus four senior PTT
executives.

He said the closed bid, in which only selected companies were invited to
participate, was not unusual, and was used around the world.

The selection was also in line with the strict terms set by Bechtel. "So there
is no way the bid could be distorted to unfairly favour any particular
party."

As well, the price offered by Saipem-Mitsui was far below the 6.65 billion
baht
median the PTT had set.

Losers were the Thai-Japanese consortium of ITD/NKK Willbros (5.25 billion),
Mannesmann Demag AG of Germany (5.86 billion), Macdow and Nacap of Australia
(5.9 billion) and Spie-Capag SA of France (6.58 billion).

THE BANGKOK POST: VENTURES IN NEIGHBORING COUNTRIES BACKED
1 January, 1990 by Nussara Sawatsawang

Exim bank opens credit lines

Thais will be offered information and financial support to invest in Burma,
China, Laos and Vietnam, according to the Export-Import Bank.

Potential investors should contact the bank's export credit insurance and
foreign investment department for details, said Nampung Wongsmith, first
vice-president in charge of the section.

The investment campaign would also be radio advertisements or brochures, she
said.

As the bank believed investment in the four countries would benefit
Thailand as
well, it would offer independent customers unlimited credit for any type of
industry. However, priority would be given to projects that earned foreign
currency so investors could repay bank loans.

Cambodia would be excluded from the scheme for some time because the country's
political situation was unsettled, Mrs Nampung said.

Established in 1994, the bank has financed 10 projects in Laos, eight each in
Burma and Vietnam, as well as two in Cambodia, most of which are small-to
medium-scale manufacturing.

It has also financed some large projects including an international airport
built in Mandalay, Burma, for US$150 million. It is also interested in
co-financing the development of the Yetagun gas field in Burma's Gulf of
Martaban, 270 kilometres west of Thailand.

The bank's move follows a recent call from former deputy prime minister
Virabongsa Ramangkura for state-run banks and agencies to provide guarantees
for Thai businesses in neighbouring countries.

Mr Virabongsa, a former adviser to the Laotian government, also wants Thais to
buy goods from these countries as this would help generate income for their
people, strengthening their buying power and enabling them to buy more goods
from Thailand.

But the bank's plan to encourage investment outside Thailand does not have
unanimous support at a time when Thai commercial banks are reluctant to offer
loans for investment inside Thailand for fear that they will not get their
money back.

According to Sompop Manarangsan, an economist at Chulalongkorn University, the
bank should give priority to boosting Thailand's manufacturing sector,
which is
now stuck with a large amount of idle machinery, bought when the economy was
doing well.

Financing credit for Thai exports to neighbouring countries should be the next
step, and investment in those countries the last step, he said.

SINGAPORE STRAITS TIMES: CHEE GIVES TALK WITHOUT PERMIT
30 December,1998

Promoting his new book at Raffles Place, the SDP chief addresses a lunchtime
crowd for an hour without having first applied for a permit

Ignoring police warnings not to hold a public talk without a permit, Singapore
Democratic Party chief Chee Soon Juan addressed a lunchtime crowd at Raffles
Place yesterday.

The police said that he would be called up for questioning, as he had not
applied for a permit.

Under the Public Entertainment Act, anyone who gives a talk in a public place
without a permit can be fined up to $5,000.

The police said in a statement last night that before the talk, he had refused
to accept a letter advising him not to go ahead with the talk.

They also said that after the talk, he had also refused to accept official
notification to present himself at the Central Police Division Headquarters
for
an interview related to the investigation into the incident.

The statement added: "The police have commenced investigations into the
incident. If an offence is disclosed, police will consult the
Attorney-General's Chambers and charge the offender in court."

Dr Chee was at Raffles Place to sell his new book, " To Be Free."

At about 12.35 pm, he got ready to speak, shortly after Superintendent Low Hui
Hui of the Central Police Station approached and said quietly: "I am advising
you not to proceed with the talk as it is an offence."

Dr Chee: "And if I do?"

Supt Low: "The case will be investigated."

Dr Chee: "You do your job, and I'll do mine."

Supt Low repeated his advice.

But Dr Chee fixed a small microphone on himself and spoke for the next
hour. He
said:: "The reason the Government does not permit politicians to stand up and
talk is that there is a lot of information that they don't want you to know."

He slammed the local media and Singapore's investments in Myanmar and
Suzhou as
well as its financial aid to Indonesia.

Referring to some clippings, he quoted a Trade Development Board official as
saying that now was a good time to invest in Myanmar, when other countries
were
ignoring it, "because you get a better deal".

He said: "You get a better deal when women are raped, you get a better deal
when people get sent to prison, tortured and killed, you get a better deal
when
children are forced into labour.

"How low must we as a nation sink to get a better deal?"

When The Straits Times asked him afterwards what he had referred to when
quoting the TDB, he turned to the dispersing crowd and said: "You have a
situation where we have our own officials making statements and our own
journalists don't even know about it."

In his talk, he referred to the unemployment rate here rising to 7 to 9 per
cent. The official figure is around 4.5 per cent.

Asked about the source of his figures, he would only say: "Buy my book."

He said he planned to speak again next week at the same time and place, and
also in HDB estates.