NLD Statement 2(1/99) in English

National League for Democracy
No: (97/b) West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

STATEMENT 2 (1/99)

The contents of petition dated 30 December 1998 addressed to the
Chairman Sayadaw of the State Sangha Maha Nayaka Order from the Chairman
of the National League for Democracy is disclosed for all to understand.

(Start)

" Reverend Sayadaw,

I respectfully place these facts before you on behalf of the National
League for Democracy and the Central Executive Committee.

The authorities in Magwe Division, Sinbaungwae township are applying all
kinds of illegal measures to oppress and coerce members of  the National
League for Democracy which is a political party. In addition, in order
to obtain the resignation of the members of the NLD, they are
threatening and intimidating family members who have nothing to do with
the NLD.

An unsavoury factor in what is really a political issue is the behaviour
of Sayadaw Ahshin Damapiya, Chairman of the Sinbaungwae Township Sangha
Nayaka Order, residing at Kyaukmaw monastery who has been working in
co-operation with the military intelligence and repeatedly pressuring
the NLD members in the township, wards, villages and village tracts as
follows:-
	" Give in your resignation.
Put your signature indicating that you agree to resign.
Revoke 	the bequest of land and house that is being used as NLD office
by the township organising committee.
Remove the signboard and take down the flag.
There is no time for continuing in this way, so just consent as quickly
as possible"

Our Lord Buddha has prescribed precepts which all Buddhist monks must
abide by. Your most venerable person can judge if the present activities
of the Sayadaw of Sinbaungwae township is in accordance with the said
precepts and to admonish him accordingly. Your disciple's National
League for Democracy is an organisation striving for democracy for the
country, human rights and peace. It is acting in a peaceful manner
without resort to violence. We are not motivated by hatred or revenge. I
respectfully submit that our organisation is not " using religion for
political gain" which is specifically prohibited by the law.

There are examples where our Lord Buddha endeavoured to obtain peace for
all living beings- contained in the Scriptures for the welfare of the
world, welfare of relatives, and for the attainment of Buddhahood. There
are instances when the Lord Buddha intervened when all the people were
engulfed in trouble. When vice is opposed to virtue, the winner is
always virtue.

In this matter, where living beings are suffering from persecutions and
brutality, love and compassion should be exercised, in accordance with
the teachings in the Scriptures and your venerable person can take
appropriate steps to rectify the wrong direction that is being taken.

I respectfully make this submission and request that in your esteemed
position as Chairman Sayadaw of the State Sangha Maha Nayaka Order, you
admonish the sangha Nayaka Sayadaw at all levels (State, Divisions,
Township) to act in accordance with the precepts and discipline
prescribed in the Scriptures.   " (END)