Fw: Action needed/EU too!!!

The EU is also "dragging its feet", finally getting up some speed last
october 26 when it tightened sanctions, but for years its been put
before the vote for full sanctions against investment in burma, and
always voted down. last october 26 the EU foreign ministers after their
meeting in london early october, extended the travel visa ban, passed an
arms embargo -finally - and denied eu entry visas for offifcials
promoting tourism -short of calling for a tourist boycott -- the eu gets
the jitters when the boycott issue comes up and squirms over trade
regulations at the wto and japanese pressure -- transit visas for
military authorities, (their cronies still get in, as did a slorc
general who missed the french minister a few years back but we can only
imagine who met him a la total, and finally, the suspension of
non-humanitarian aid.

the ministers did not adopt a ban on new investment or bar eu companies
from providing services to the regime, measures that had been discussed,
again...

this year, 1999, its about time the EU ministers pass the investment ban
instead of playing cat and mouse over human lives and unethical
investments that encourage and foster repression and genocide.

yes, despite some positive action, the EU, including the French national
assembly and French Senate, is very much so "dragging its feet" in not
dealing head on with the freedom movement in Burma.

dawn star