NLD Statement 7 in English

National League for Democracy
(97/b) West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

Statement 7(1/99)

Contents of petition dated 7 January 1999 from the Chairman of the NLD
to the Chairman Sayadaw (Abbot) of the State Sangha Maha Nayaka Order
are distributed for public information.

(Start)

" Reverend Benefactors and Sayadaw,

I respectfully place the following facts before you on behalf of the
National League for Democracy and the Central Executive Committee.

Our reason for making this petition is because of information we have
received about two Buddhist sanghas in the town of Yesagyo, Magwe
Division who are collaborating with the Military Intelligence Service
(MIS) in their political activities.

A monk by the name of U Nanda Wuntha (a) U Nan Gyi, residing at the
western monastery of Ye-sa-gyo-town in Magwe Division, and another by
the name of U Ainda Wuntha (a) U Aung Si residing at Min O monastery are
assisting the MIS in their endeavour to undermine the NLD, lower their
morale and to obtain their resignations from the party.

The National League for Democracy is a legally constituted political
party engaged in political activities permitted by the laws made by the
present rulers of the country . In the Multiparty general elections held
in May, 1990, this party was overwhelmingly elected as representatives
to the People's Parliament  by men and women who have always donated the
four essential necessary for the survival of monkhood. Therefore it can
be said that this is a people's party.

We respectfully reiterate that as a political party we have never
exploited religion for political gain which is a prohibition stipulated
by law. Similarly, in accordance with the teachings of the Lord Buddha
himself and as given in the Scriptures, the discipline that must be
observed by monks has been laid down. Interference of any nature (in
deed or in utterances) is intolerable and inappropriate.

We, therefore, respectfully bow at your feet and petition you to
admonish the sangha at all levels (States, Divisions, Townships) to
abide strictly by the discipline laid down in the Scriptures and
befitting their standing in the community.

May you, the Venerable Chairman Sayadaw of the State Sangha Maha Nayaka
Order and all the Sangha Nayaka Sayadaws enjoy health and prosperity
both physical and mental to enable you to continue in your task for the
benefit of the Buddhist Mission. " (End)