NLD Statement 9 in English

National League for Democracy
(97/b) West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

Statement 9(1/99)

Contents of the letter dated 11 January 1999 from the Chairman of the
National League for Democracy to the Chairman of the State Peace and
Development Council are reproduced  below for all to know.

(START)

Subject- In the matter of the Chaung-Oo township NLD Organising
Committee

1. We are in receipt of a report from our Organising Committee of
Chaung-Oo township, Sagaing Division that the news of resignations on
the 27 November 1998, published by the authorities in the papers the
following day (28 November ) is FALSE.

2. The actual facts in brief are that the Organising Committee had
steadfastly refused to remove the League's signboard despite repeated
demands, threats and intimidation by the Chairman of the administrative
authorities of the township. Then, the said authority demanded to know
the details about the time and place of transfer of the signboard. The
Organising Committee's response was that they were awaiting instructions
from the Central Executive Committee.

3. The Chairman was dissatisfied and on 16 October, 1998 menacingly said
" If you people rely on your party we will rely on authority and apply
our method".

4. At the monthly meeting of the Organising Committee (11 November
1998), a resolution was taken that no matter how much pressure was
applied they would stand firm and not resign but continue with their
activities as usual.

5. The Party's signboard vanished on the 27 November 1998, the
circumstances of which were completely unknown to the current organising
committee. On the next day (28 November) the news of resignation of 11
NLD members from Chaung-Oo township was announced by the authorities.
Then, the newspapers of the authorities carried that news together with
the picture of them and missing signboard. These eleven individuals are
not members of the Chaung-Oo Township Organising Committee and had
distanced themselves from the party a long time ago.

6. Removal of the NLD signboard and fabricating news with words and
pictures that are false is illegal. Therefore we denounce such actions
and the persons who abused their administrative authority by resorting
to illegal methods. We ask that suitable action be taken against the
said administrators".			(END)