: Shan Flee Forced Relocations:

Shan Flee Forced Relocations
It was reported recently that two groups of people from the Shan States have
entered Thai territory to seek refuge.
The first group of 40 families numbering nearly 300 people are lisu ethnic
from
Sanzu in Mongton Township opposite Wianghaeng District, Chiangmai Province.
The
second group of 25 families, numbering 150, are Shans from Monghta also
opposite Wianghaeng.
The small exodus began when the SSA led by Yordserk arrived in the area late
last year. "The Burmese accused us of aiding Yordserk and ordered us to move
into lowland villages where they are stationed", said one lisu elders., "As we
could not make a living there, we decided to seek sanctuary here (in
Thailand)".

Yordserk Pays Homage to King Naresuan
The Thais' Armed Forces Day, as usual, was held on 25 January, marking the day
when King Naresuan fought a duel with the Burmese heir-apparent and killed him
in 1592.
The unusual event was soon after the ceremony was over in the evening, the
Shan
States Army's Commander-in-Chief arrived with a group of aides to lay his
wreath and paid his respects.
"The King not only liberated his homeland, but also helped free the Shan
States
from Burmese rule. It was to aid the Shans led by Sao Khamkainoi of Hsenwi in
1605 against Burmese invasion that he marched from Ayuddya to the north where
he died at Monghang (Mongton Township). It is to show that we do not forget
him
and what he did for us that we are here", Yordserk told S.H.A.N.
The Thais built a memorial for him in Monhang, but it was destroyed by the
Burmese in 1960. Nine years later, Kornzurng, the leader of Shan resistance
and
Yordserk's boss, sent a detachment to retrieve what it could from the ruins to
be brought to Nirandorn Chaiyanarm, then Chiangmai Governor. It was under his
supervision that the new memorial where Yordserk now stood was built in the
village of Muang-ngai, Chiangdao District, 40- kilometers from the border.
25 January is significant for the Shans for two other historical facts. It was
on that date that the Three Shan Brothers repulsed the attack made by the
Mongol army of Kublai Khan in 1301. It was also on the same day that Kornzurng
established the Shan resistance movement in 1969.
Meanwhile, Yordserk, who claims to fight for freedom of Shan States and
against
drugs, is drawing youthful Shans on both sides of the border to his ranks.
"This is the land of Surhkhanfah ( the Shan King who flourished in the 14th
century ), my ancestor", said Kawngsurh. "My father had fought for it. And I'm
determined to emulate him".