MA Burma Law Update 2/4/99: 22 Citi

Subject: MA Burma Law Update 2/4/99: 22 Cities & States Join Amicus Brief!

NEW ENGLAND BURMA ROUNDTABLE

22 Cities & States Join Amicus Brief!

February 4, 1999

1. Update
2. List of Cities & States on Amicus Briefs

1. Update: February 4, 1999

With help from an impressive grassroots lobbying campaign, 22 cities,
counties, and states have signed on to one of two amicus briefs to be filed
in Federal Appeals Court. The signers include three of the largest states
(California, New York, and Texas) and three of the largest cities (Los
Angeles, New York, and San Francisco). The amicus briefs will argue that
the Massachusetts Burma selective purchasing is indeed constitutional.

I would like to thank you all for your help in this round of the battle.
There will be many more as we defend our rights as citizens to require that
our cities, counties and states shun companies that do business with
dictatorships around the world.

Simon Billenness
*for the New England Burma Roundtable*
Franklin Research & Development
711 Atlantic Avenue, Boston, MA 02111
(617) 423-6655, x225
(617) 482-6179 - fax
sbillenness@xxxxxxxx

2. List of Cities, Counties & States on Amicus Briefs

States: 11

California
Indiana
Maryland