26 Members of Congress Join Amicus

Subject: 26 Members of Congress Join Amicus Brief!

NEW ENGLAND BURMA ROUNDTABLE

26 Members of Congress Join Amicus Brief!

February 5, 1999

1. Update
2. List of Members of Congress on Amicus Brief

1. Update: February 5, 1999

At only one's days notice, our impressive grassroots lobbying campaign
persuaded 26 Members of Congress to sign on to an amicus brief to be filed
in Federal Appeals Court in support of the Massachusetts Burma Law.

The brief argues inter alia that Congress, by not taking action to preempt
or outlaw state and local selective purchasing laws, has implicitly
signaled that these laws are constitutional under the Commerce Clause.

The entire Massachusetts Congressional delegation signed on the amicus
brief with the exception of Senator John Kerry. In addition, Rep. Gephardt
contacted the Administration to specifically urge that it not file an
amicus brief against the Massachusetts Burma Law.

We've certainly had a busy week! Once again, I would like to thank you all
for your help in this round of the battle. There will be many more as we
defend our rights as citizens to require that our cities, counties and
states shun companies that do business with dictatorships around the world.

Simon Billenness
*for the New England Burma Roundtable*
Franklin Research & Development
711 Atlantic Avenue, Boston, MA 02111
(617) 423-6655, x225
(617) 482-6179 - fax
sbillenness@xxxxxxxx

2. List of Members of Congress on the Amicus Brief

Sen. Edward Kennedy (D, MA)
Rep. David Bonior (D, MI)
Rep. Sherrod Brown (D, OH)
Rep. Michael Capuano (D, MA)