Statement of SYCB

Statement of the 52nd Anniversary of the Union Day of Burma

Date 11th February 1999

The 12th of February 1999, mark the 52nd anniversary of the Union Day of
Burma, the day of the Panglong Agreement, which led to Burma's
independence from British colonal rule.
   On the day, in 1947, General Aung San, the national hero, and other
respected ethnic leaders established the spirit of federal union through
the Panglong Agreement.
Althought the Union Day of Burma has reached its 52 aniversary, the
country has been the under the rule of the military regime for nearly
four decades. Throughout this period the ruling militay has negatively
portrayed federalism as invitably leading to the disintegration of the
country.

At the same time, the regime continues to deny equal rights to all
groups, is gility of gross violations of human rights, of large scale
oppression and injustice against its own people throughout the country.
We firmaly believe that only by building a democratic system can
progress towrds a federal union of Burma be made. We do not believe in
the military ruling system. We shall opose and resist any kind of ruling
system, which is run like a dictatorship.
On behalf of the students and youth in Burma, we the SYCB will continue
our struggle for the restoration ofdemocracy and establishment of
federal union of Burma with the spirit of the Panglong Agreement, which
was adopted by our leaders.

We also demand that the military regime:
1.Unconditionally release all political prisoners including student
leader Min Ko Naing .
2.Cease all opression and human rights abuse immediately thruoghout the
country.
3. Open a dialogue with the National League for Democracy (NLD) led by
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and ethnic representatives to solve the country's
political problems peacefully.

Students and Youth Congress of Burma

For more information please contact: 01 309 3846