NLD (LA) Australia's statement on U

Subject: NLD (LA) Australia's statement on Union Day

Statement by NLD (LA) Australia on 52nd anniversary of the Union Day
Date:	12 February 1999

To day is the 52nd anniversary of the Union Day on which Panlong Agreement
was successfully signed by ethnic nationalities.  Returning from London
after reaching an agreement with the ruling British imperialist, U Aung
San, our charismatic national leader at that time toured the country
extensively and strive relentlessly to set up a foundation for the national
unity.

We should always remember what he stated: "A nation can be defined as the
integration of a group of people that have endured joy and suffering
together in the same way for many years.  Even though it is necessary to
take into consideration significant differences of race, religious belief,
and language, in fact, it mainly depends upon their shared experience of
happiness or suffering and their spirit of patriotism."

He foresaw that national unity was the essential nucleus for the future
Burma.  What he foresaw and tried to establish had gone into disarray after
his death, resulting from misunderstanding and discords between the ethnic
nationalities and the successively ruling governments.  Civil war in Burma
was deeply rooted in the absence of the natural rights for the ethnic
minorities.

NLD (LA) Australia takes up this good opportunity to highlight again the
attitudes of NLD towards the nationalities. It is stated that "Special
priority shall be given to resolve the problem of the nationalities.  In
resolving this problem, NLD shall strive as much as possible to obtain the
best solution based on the following principles;

(i)	by recognizing equal rights for all the nationalities;
(ii) 	by having good will and genuine intentions towards the nationalities;
(iii) 	with fraternal love and mutual respect;
(iv)	by abiding by the basic principles of human rights; and
(v)	with the intention to encourage the development of culture, literature
and tradition of the nationalities.

Based on the above principles, if we resolve the problem with keen
co-operation, we firmly believe that we can surely achieve our goal to
obtain peace and harmony among the nationalities in the Union.  We shall
strive till we receive these aims."

If we all can uphold the "Panlong Spirit" in which equality for all the
nationalities of the Union and rights of autonomy were agreed upon and

recognised, and the above mentioned NLD's attitudes towards the
nationalities, we firmly believe that we can regain our national unity.  By
then a true democratic state will be established without fear from any form
of dictatorship.

National League for Democracy (Liberated Area) Australia