Excerpts from DASSK's speech on 11-

Subject: Excerpts from DASSK's speech on 11-01-99 (English)

National League for Democracy
NO (97/B), West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

Excerpts frm the address given on the 11 January 1999 by Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi, General Secretary of the National League for Democracy

We are registered as a political organisation. we were victorious in
the election also. Despite the
fact that we have won world wide recognition, why are we being abused
and maltreated?
xxxxx The whole world knows. The whole nation knows. The National League
for Democracy won the elections. The people support us. Then the
authorities said that they would transfer power to the victorious party.
But when the NLD won the elections, they did not want to transfer power
to us and started making all sorts of excuses. xxxxx  There are limits
to what the international community can do. Our country's business is up
to us.

xxxxx    If we are dissatisfied with what is happening in the country it
is up to all of us to do our utmost for change. xxxxx   As an example,
money is being demanded for miscellaneous purposes in the schools. If
payment is not made well everyone be expelled from the school?   xxxxx
If school fees are to be paid, this should be honestly stated. Instead
of which, demand for this and that, and donations are demanded. A
donation is something that is given out of the generosity of the donor.
Some may have the desire but not the means. Forcing and demanding is
unjust.

I have always maintained that if we are united, we will attain democracy
very quickly. If there is no unity, the time will be longer. Why?
Because the entire burden is on us the National League for Democracy and
those of our sympathisers. The people have the spirit but they are
afraid. I have repeatedly maintained that politics is not about
demonstrating on the streets. To achieve the object of our desire
ingenious methods must be used.  xxxx  What I wish to say is that we
must all act concertedly. Without concerted effort there will not be
positive results. Determination to act together will get us there.

We have been registered as a political party. We contested in the
elections because we were duly registered. We won the elections. The
people's elected representatives exist. We need to collectively support
and protect these representatives. This responsibility is reciprocal.
Just as these representatives have the responsibility to act on behalf
of the people in their interest, the people must give them the support

and protection that they need. This is the fundamental reason why the
elected Pyithu Hluttaw (People's Parliament) representatives must never
resign. If they do so, they insult the people who elected them. Those
who are forcing and making them resign are also disregarding and
insulting the people. This must be clearly understood and the
parliamentarians elect and the people must start firm in this manner. It
must be born in mind that these are our representatives whom we have
chosen. In everything, there must be a reciprocal relationship. There
must be give and take. It is just not enough to say that our duty is
finished - we have cast our vote. On the other hand the people
representatives must not feel that they are incapable of doing anything
now though they have the support and protection of the people. There
must be support for and by each other. Only then there will be meaning
and significance to the elections. I said at the beginning if you want
democracy  to be established soon, then find out how we can be united.
Work together. Unity will overcome fear.  xxxxx  What can not be
achieved single-handedly can be achieved unitedly.  xxxxx

xxxxx  My message to the people and our members is to stand behind our
parliamentarians. It is now five months since they have been
incarcerated. Some have succeeded in eluding while others have not. To
be able to remain firm for so long is a matter for encouragement . Some
have left. We encourage and honour those who are remaining. We urge the
relatives of those  remaining to convey our praise and love to them. We
are always supporting them. Tell them that they bring dignity and honour
to our country for their ability to stand firm, Do encourage them and
give them strength. When the Pyithu Hluttaw comes into exstence, our
country's problems will be gradually solved. Without the Pyithu Hluttaw
problems can not be solved. The parliamentarians elect must stand firm
so that the Pyithu Hluttaw can come into being. Support our
representatives. Protect them. xxxxx Encourage them. This is my earnest
plea.

Rangoon