NLD Statement 20 (English)

National League for Democracy
NO (97/B), West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

Statement NO: 20(2/99)

1. Immunisation against polio is being carried out in the whole country
and the vaccine for this has been supplied free of charge by the World
Health Organisation.

2. We have been informed that in December 1998 and January 1999, at the
medical centres in Kyaukpadaung Township, Mandalay Division the parents
were charged a fee of Kyats 10/- per child at the medical centres where
the vaccine was being administered orally.

3. Therefore the very poor parents could not have their children
protected against this disease because of their inability to meet the
demand . Our information is that the authorities in the villages are
forcing payment.

4. In a certain ward, because of this demand for payment, only 300 could
get the oral dose whereas 500 had been given a previous dose.

5. This demand for payment of medication given free of charge by the WHO
is wrong and should never be resorted to. It will surely have a
deleterious effect on the health of these children in the future. We
denounce this and urge the higher authorities to take immediate action
to halt the above process.

6. What is happening in Kyaukpadaung is something that requires
investigation and monitoring by an independent body (not the
administration) to prevent the misuse of aid given by the international
community.

Central Executive Committee
National League for Democracy

Rangoon