Bar on media liaison as heroin talk (r)

Subject: Bar on media liaison as heroin talk begin

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01BE6012.C86CBD80

Bar on media Liaison as heroin talk begin

Sydney Morning Herald

24 Feb 99

By Craig Skehan

Australia Federal Police (AFP) officers attending a diplomatically =
sensitive conference in Burma on heroin trafficking have been barred by =
their superiors from talking to the media.

" We have been told not to talk to the press I n regard to the =
conference and that any comment will come from AFP headquarters in =
Canberra," said police liaison officer Kevin McTavish.

The crackdown on the Australian officers discussing details of the =
gathering follows claims that the agenda downplays key issues such as =
money laundering and official corruption in Burma.=20

Attendance at yesterday=92s opening of the conference by the Australian =
Ambassador in Rangoon, Ms Lyndell Mclean, was criticised by one of =
Burma=92s main pro-democracy groups.

Mr Soe Aung, head of the foreign policy division of the All Burma =
Students=92 Democratic Front, said the high-level diplomatic =
representation afforded legitimacy to the country=92s repressive =
military regime.

He said Ms Mclean=92s attendence could also lend credibility to a deeply =
clawed conference which the military was attempting to use as a =
propaganda tool. Mr Soe Aung praised the United States and a number of =
European countries, including Britain, for boycotting the conference on =
the grounds that elements of the military elite had links with major =
heroin traffickers.

"We are very disappointed that Australia is attending the conference," =
Mr Soe Aung said. "I do not think there will be anything gained in term =
if reduction of heroin trafficking.=20

"Is the military was genuine, they would let United Nations official =
travel to any part of the country where opium croup are being grown."

He said the regime deliberately made it difficult for such officials to =
visit areas=20

Where pro-Government militias were involved in heroin.

Democracy leaders earlier this month wrote to the Australian Minister =
for Foreign Affairs, Mr Downer, urging him to boycott the conference.

However, Mr Downer defended Australia=92s stance on the grounds that the =
interchange of information in Rangoon could assist efforts to stem large =
flows of Burmese heroin to Australia.

Ms McLean said it was "quite appropriate" for Australia to attend. "No =
individual country can deal with the problem =96 there has to be =
co-operation between law enforcement agencies she said.

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01BE6012.C86CBD80

Bar on media Liaison as heroin talk begin

Sydney Morning Herald

24 Feb 99

By Craig Skehan

Australia Federal Police (AFP) officers attending a diplomatically =
sensitive=20 conference in Burma on heroin trafficking have been barred by
their = superiors=20 from talking to the media.

" We have been told not to talk to the press I n regard to the=20
conference and that any comment will come from AFP headquarters in=20
Canberra," said police liaison officer Kevin McTavish.

The crackdown on the Australian officers discussing details of the =
gathering=20 follows claims that the agenda downplays key issues such as
money = laundering and=20 official corruption in Burma.

Attendance at yesterday s opening of the conference by the = Australian=20
Ambassador in Rangoon, Ms Lyndell Mclean, was criticised by one of = Burma
s=20 main pro-democracy groups.

Mr Soe Aung, head of the foreign policy division of the All Burma=20
Students Democratic Front, said the high-level diplomatic =
representation=20 afforded legitimacy to the country s repressive military
= regime.

He said Ms Mclean s attendence could also lend credibility to a = deeply=20
clawed conference which the military was attempting to use as a =
propaganda tool.=20 Mr Soe Aung praised the United States and a number of
European = countries,=20 including Britain, for boycotting the conference
on the grounds that = elements of=20 the military elite had links with
major heroin traffickers.

"We are very disappointed that Australia is attending the=20 conference,"
Mr Soe Aung said. "I do not think there will be = anything=20 gained in
term if reduction of heroin trafficking.

"Is the military was genuine, they would let United Nations = official=20
travel to any part of the country where opium croup are being = grown."

He said the regime deliberately made it difficult for such officials = to
visit=20 areas

Where pro-Government militias were involved in heroin.

Democracy leaders earlier this month wrote to the Australian Minister =
for=20 Foreign Affairs, Mr Downer, urging him to boycott the conference.

However, Mr Downer defended Australia s stance on the grounds = that the=20
interchange of information in Rangoon could assist efforts to stem large =
flows=20 of Burmese heroin to Australia.

Ms McLean said it was "quite appropriate" for Australia to = attend.=20 "No
individual country can deal with the problem there has = to be=20