Dr U Ne Oo

Mr Kofi Annan
UN Secretary-General
United Nations Headquarters
New York NY 10017
United States of America

Dear Secretary-General:

re: Cabinet Reshuffle in Burma

I call Secretary-General's attention to the recent cabinet reshuffle in
Burma by the State Peace and DEvelopment Council(SPDC). The SPDC
announced the reshuffle of its cabinet on Saturday 14 November 1998. As
a result of the reshuffle, the former Foreign Affairs Minister, U Ohn
Gyaw, was resigned and, the Hon. U Win Aung, Burma's Ambassador to
United Kingdom, is appointed by SPDC as the new foreign minister.

I like to inform the UN Secretary-General and, particularly, to the
United Nations General Assembly that the State Peace and Development
Council is not a legitimate government of Burma and, therefore, the SPDC
appointed foreign minister, Hon. U Win Aung, is not a legitimate
representative of Burma. As such, the 53rd Session of UN General
Assembly should refuse to give the floor to the SPDC appointed Foreign
Minister unless such appointment is endorsed by the Parliament in Burma
(or) Committee Representing People's Parliament(CRPP). In this
connection, I should like to referred to my letter to the President of
53rd Session of UN General Assembly, HOn. Didier Opertti, on 21
September 1998.

We have been watching with intense interest on the developments in Burma
since the Assistant-Secretary Mr de Soto's visit to RAngoon in late last
month. Current cabinet reshuffle is a clear indication that the SPDC is
not taking the proper path to reconciliation with the opposition
National League for Democracy. I therefore urge the Secretary-General
and General Assembly to put the strong resolution on Burma.

The Burmese military authorities have continued to detain the elected
representatives and NLD supporters. Reports indicate these elected
representatives are being held in separate locations in different parts
of the country. It is also reported that the Burmese military,
especially the intelligence services, has been putting pressures on the
detained-members of Parliament to resign from their posts. I urge the UN
General Assembly condemn such actions by Burmese Military Intelligence
Services.

In closing, I thank you for your kind attention to this matter.
Continuing efforts made by the United Nations and international
community to bring peace and reconciliation to Burma are greatly
appreciated by the Burmese people.

Yours respectfully and sincerely
Sd. U Ne Oo.
--