LETTER OF CONDOLENCE (r)

NATIONAL COALITION GOVERNMENT OF THE UNION OF BURMA

Letter of Condolence

	We are deeply bereaved, equally as the surviving family members, by the
passing away of Professor Dr. Michael Aris, husband of Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi, on the 27th of March 1999, as a result of cancer disease, at the
Oxford Church Hill Hospital.

	In the past 3 years, Dr. Michael Aris had tried to get an entry visa to
Burma for several times, but each time his application was rejected by the
SLORC/SPDC authorities. He did not get an entry visa to Burma until his
last days. We are especially saddened for the fact that he was not given a
chance to fulfill his last wish as a dying man.

	The application of Dr. Michael Aris for entry visa to Burma was not a
political matter. It had to do only with family and personal affairs.

	A civilized society and a regime with a sense of compassion would perform
such matter without any hesitation. The SPDC military dictators, acting
with a basis of personal hatred and for self-serving interest, refused Dr.
Michael Aris' application for visa by giving meaningless excuses. We should
denounce the SPDC's lack of forbearance.

	As befitted a good husband, Dr. Michael Aris had firmly maintained his
stand as an understanding and generous husband, up to the day of his death,
in her life, while she was engaged in the struggle for the emergence of
democracy in Burma. We would like to affirm that we respect and honor Dr.
Michael Aris for that.

	Daw Aung San Suu Kyi returned to Burma in 1988. Since the day she took up
the leadership role in the pro-democracy movement of Burma, after her
return, she has been living away from her husband and sons. We respect and
put on record the spirit of selflessness of the people's leader, Daw Aung
San Suu Kyi, who has been endeavoring for democracy with strong and
unwavering determination, together with the people in Burma.

	We earnestly pray for Dr. Michael Aris who had been understanding and
magnanimous for Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, to reach the good domain.

March 28, 1999