Reuters-Less Talk, More Action On M

Subject: Reuters-Less Talk, More Action On Myanmar Drugs-Albright

Less Talk, More Action On Myanmar Drugs-Albright
06:05 a.m. Mar 04, 1999 Eastern
By David Brunnstrom

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Secretary of State Madeleine Albright hit out at
military-ruled Myanmar's narcotics suppression efforts Thursday, saying it
protected drug dealers and managed ''a lot of talk and not enough action.''

Albright told a news conference in Bangkok she had been impressed by
Thailand's opium suppression efforts when she visited a crop-substitution
program not far from the border with Myanmar Wednesday.

She said such programs were key to dealing with the heroin production
problem in the ``Golden Triangle'' growing area formed by the borders of
Myanmar, Laos and Thailand.

``I have made clear that we would obviously like to see a more effective
program in Burma,'' she added. ``There is a lot of talk and not enough
action there.''

``I think that they certainly can do a better job. I also think that having
some of their top drug dealers, kingpins, living in Rangoon is not exactly a
sign that they are dealing with it on an institutional basis.''

Albright was referring to big opium dealers like Khun Sa and Lo Hsing-han,
who are living in Myanmar under government protection claiming to have
retired from the drugs business.

Khun Sa is wanted in the United States for heroin dealing and Lo Hsing-han
was convicted in Thailand of trafficking but was set free after being
extradited to Myanmar.

Asked if Washington had any plans to resume its assistance to Myanmar for
narcotics suppression, Albright replied:

``We obviously keep the situation under review at all times, but we are very
concerned by the fact that the Burmese government is not doing all it can to
deal with the issue.

``I think they could do lot more. We know they can, other governments are
capable of doing it, and I think sometimes they turn a blind eye to some of
the problems that are going on.''

The United States stopped narcotics suppression assistance to Myanmar as
part sanctions it imposed on the military government because of its human
rights record.

Myanmar says its philosophy in harboring Khun Sa and Lo is that they are now
effectively out of the drug business and that stems the flow of drugs
previously controlled by them.

Interpol has said that sometimes governments must make pacts with drug
dealers so that the main objective of keeping drugs out of the market is
achieved.

Thursday, Myanmar hit back at criticism leveled by Albright Wednesday when
she said Thai crop substitution efforts contrasted markedly with those in
Myanmar.

``It is very surprising to learn that Mrs Albright has not been made aware
of Myanmar's efforts, challenges and sacrifices,'' a government statement
said.

It said Albright contradicted remarks by the top Interpol official at a
heroin conference last month, which was boycotted by the United States,
expressing confidence in Myanmar's eradication efforts.

It said Myanmar would like the cooperation of countries like the United
States and Britain, two of the largest markets for heroin in the world, in
the fight against narcotics.

A State Department report last month said there was no evidence the Myanmar
government as an institution was involved with drugs, but criticised it for
failing to confront big traffickers and for making ``little if any effort
against money laundering.''

It said Myanmar's opium production fell by 26 percent last year, due partly
to government efforts to eradicate the crop. But it said some 130,300 ha
(321,700 acres) remained under opium cultivation, capable of yielding up to
1,750 tons of opium gum, enough for 175 tons of heroin.