Singapore News

Singapore defence spending worries MPs
********************************

SINGAPORE, March 9 (Reuters) - Singapore's plans to allot a quarter of
next year's budgetary spending to defence may send the wrong message to
its Asian neighbours, lawmakers said on Tuesday.

Singapore has earmarked S$7.27 billion ($4.2 billion) for defence in its
1999/2000 budget, an increase of about 0.1 percent over the previous
year.

The move has fuelled parliamentary concern since the island state's
neighbours have reduced their defence expenditure.

``We should of course be well defended,'' said a nominated member of
parliament, Simon Tay, speaking on the second day of parliamentary
debate on the budget.

``But our defence spending should not itself be allowed to become a
source of misunderstanding and concern.''

Tay questioned Finance Minister Richard Hu over how the government was
benchmarking efficiencies in the armed forces.

He referred to a report by the Public Accounts Committee last December
that revealed lax controls in the Ministry of Defence's accounting
practices.

Tay added that he would ``encourage dialogue and transparency (in budget
allocations) to allay any suspicion that we are taking an aggressive
posture, and not an investment in a sound defence.''

Veteran opposition politician J.B. Jeyaretnam also voiced concern over
the allocation for defence.

``What is the threat coming (that) we are facing that we need to spend
25 percent of our monies towards defence?'' he said.

Parliament is expected to continue deliberation on the budget through
March 18.

($-S$1.72)